free website stats program Synthetic causes oil consumption? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetic causes oil consumption?

Just turned 5K miles and am considering changing from HD360 to M1. On my 08' Softail I changed to Amsoil Syn at 1K miles and started using 8oz of oil every 500 miles. I also put on a power commander and straight pipes. I don't know if the oil burn was cause or effect. My 09' burns 2 oz of oil in 2500 miles which I am very happy with.
Here is the question? Do any of you notice increased oil consumption after changing to synthetic?

I noticed a drop in oil consumption when I went to synthetic. But it may be an unfair comparison since I am comparing the first 1200 miles (after doing the 30-60-30 and changing oil @80 miles) of break in on HD360 when I used about 1/2 quart, to the next 4000 miles on Mobil 1 where I used less than 1/4 quart.
I use syn oils in all my motors (cars, van, garden tractors and lawn mower).

Sounds like you have other problems.

2 dealers told me oil usage on a Harley is nothing new, you get the odd one that can take longer to settle down, as much as 20,000kms, but consumption often caused by oil breaking down,advised change more regularly - (their opinion)

Don't think 100% Synthetic oil would cause additional consumption...most "dino" oils have plenty of synthetic additives to control viscosity, corrosion inhibitors and detergents to a large part, so something else may have happened and oil consumption is a symptom, not a root cause.

Remember all air cooled engines use some oil, much loser tolerances than liquid cooled engines...aircraft engines almost all use 1 quart every 3 to 4 hours. Yea you pay 20,000$ for an engine and yes "They all do that"....

Remember all air cooled engines use some oil, much loser tolerances than liquid cooled engines...aircraft engines almost all use 1 quart every 3 to 4 hours. Yea you pay 20,000$ for an engine and yes "They all do that"....

NOW that is something i didn't know...

HOW LOOSE are aircraft engines?.... as compared to hd engines

Is there a difference if water cooled or do the small airplanes do that?

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back