free website stats program Switching the Horn switch and Highbeam switch | Harley Davidson Forums

Switching the Horn switch and Highbeam switch

bus driver

I have a 1991 EGC. On the left handle bar, the highbeam switch is closest to your thumb and then the next switch is the horn button. It seems Harley saw the error in their ways on later models and reversed the switches.It makes more sense to have the horn button closer to your thumb in an emergency situation, rather than reaching over the highbeam switch to get to the horn.My question is has anybody tried to reverse the switches yet? Before I take it all apart and realize that it can't be done, I was wondering if someone had attempted it and with what success. Thanx for any feedback. Bus Driver.

I tried it on my '94 and gave up. The switch buttons are different sizes and the housing details between the two holes are also different.
Craig

I wouldnt try moving the switches, but instead would make the changes where the hand controls wiring go to the multi pin plug in the wiring harness. You will need a wiring schematic to make the job easier. Seems to me that with some care full tracing of the wires you could change the positions of the pin connectors and achieve what you are trying to do.

As the horn button is a spring loaded switch and the hi/low beam is a 2 position switch thew are not going to swap over easily as they are different sizes and shapes
If you are determined to do it it may be possible to replace all the switch gear to the later type however it would take a wee bit of rewiring of stuff to get it all to work

Brian

I would like to retract my entire post on this subject. It was obviously a case of engageing my fingers before my brain was fully engaged...... Seeings as the horn switch is a momentary on-off switch and the hi beam switch is an on-on switch, rewiring at the pin connectors is not at all practical, not to mention the little fact that even if it were practical, it would do nothing to address the issue you are trying to correct. Perhaps I should embrace Fin's tag line at the end of each of his posts........ummmm sorrry

No need to retract. The questions that the members bring up always shed some light on problems and the corrections needed. I have one of each of the horn/hi-low switch bikes. I have always thought my '94FLSTC horn switch was in the wrong place and when I ride my '05FLTRI I have to remember that the switches are reversed from my softail. Reading the post here gave me insight into what was logical and what was possible. Thanks for letting the members give their insight and keeping me from wasting time.

No need to be sorry either. Down the road someone else will want to do something like you asked. Ride safe.

Thoughts are always welcome here as at times a different head looks at things from a different angle and can see a simple answer that has not been thought of before so we always encourage thoughts

Brian

Thanx guys for saving me alot of time and aggravation concerning my situation. I guess I'll just have to learn to reach over the switch in case of an emergency. I know it sounds stupid, but it makes alot of sense to me. Ride safe. Bus Driver.

Bus driver, I understand your frustration, but as the saying goes, where there is a will there is a way. Changing the control cluster on the left would likely be the solution and adapting the wiring to the "swapped" arrangement will require a bit of electronics/schematic/craftmanship...but where there is a will there is a way. If it "really" bothered me, I would do it...entirely up to you. :s

Back