free website stats program Switch to mobile 1 v-twin | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Switch to mobile 1 v-twin

Want to switch the tranny to Spectro also but no one in Jacksonville Florida carrys it, guess ill have to order it on line, unless some one on the forum knows where i can get it hint hint, Jack

OIL

Generally most notice the bike makes a little more engine noise with syn oil .

Yes sir!!!!! I run Castrol V-Twin 20-W50. No more ticking. It's cost effective enough that I can do it every 3,000 miles without complaining. I change my oil and filter in mid spring and again regardless of mileage on July 15th Just before the hottest part of the year. Although,,,,, I'm a bit of a pansy, my bikes average about 3,000 miles per year each so they aren’t heavily used but the Castrol performs well. Now for the reason I chose Castrol V-Twin.

My Tranny and Primary are maintained with HD standard fluids and changed annually.

I chose Castrol POWER RS V–TWIN 4T because of the base stock 20W-50 that they use from Petro-Canada.

May I also state that in my line of work I work very closely with Tribologists and lubrication engineers and they recognize Castrol as a leader in petroleum process control.

tribology - the branch of engineering that deals with the interaction of surfaces in relative motion (as in bearings or gears): their design and friction and wear and lubrication

As most of us profess to know something of engineering and all devote time and effort toward the care and maintenance of our beautiful American made machines. We care so much that we have the ability of being swayed toward the (No Pun intended) Snake oil salesmen of the world. Although I have seen no truly bad products. I have seen many that are questionable in their claims. So I lean on process and product distribution control as the basis for my oil decision. Product consistency is as important as any other factor in lubricants. So to me, a product that performs acceptably and is highly consistent was most important to me.

Being involved with oil products with the heavy duty transmissions that I sell has grounded a few factors in oil selection for me. Every oil manufacturer will employ engineers and scientists and salesmen to provide semi-factual content for "Qualifying" their product for an application. Some will go as far as to hire people that fit an image for a product. Some that come to mind are the 450 pound guy that sells ladders, or the guy with the tattoo and the ponytail that sells Amsoil. The overweight gentleman makes us feel like the ladder is strong and sturdy, and the guy with the ponytail makes us feel like he is one of us and we can trust him. Both sell good products and both could be trusted but what do we really know about what we are buying. I am in sales and the first thing I learned was that 70% of the value a customer found in the products I sold was ME!!! This scared me a bit and I started to look differently at how I buy and what was important to ME for what I buy in general.

1. American as possible!!!!!!!!!
2. Good business ethics
3. Customer relationship - I expect to be sold to honestly and taken care of in a curtious manner because that is how I am as a customer. Too often in the market place companies are desensitized to the humanity of their customers. I expect to feel as though my business is important and that I am important to their business. Did the guy that took my order for my first Harley when I was 26 realize that I had waited 20 years for that moment? Probably not but he was very courteous and excited, and that same guy was just as excited when I bought my second bike from him. Some of us had waited a lot longer than that.
4. Service excellence
5. Quality
6. Consistency
7. Empathy
8. Be a good customer - I need to be a good customer, I need to study and understand the products I am buying and the repercussions of investing in them. I also need to let those who I do business with know when they perform well as well as when they perform poorly.

Reasons for Castrol Dino Oil.

1. Process control and Quality - By using a Petro Canada Base Stock the oil’s consistency is controlled to a single source. All of this base stock is refined at one single facility In Canada. "As American as Possible"
2. Castrol is a single source user, this makes their products very consistent. Many Oil companies source lubricants from any location at the lowest price. Provided it meets a the tested Weighting standards. This can alter the chemical composition of the Oils. For instance Saudi Oil is semi refined in over 300 different refineries in the middle east causing the composition to Vary in mineral content and other critical chemical compositions.
3. The largest manufacturer of lubrication additive packages in the world is Castrol. Every synthetic oil and specialized oil will most likely have a Castrol product in it.
4. The Harley Engine is not technologically advanced enough to warrant the use of high tech synthetics. Many of the design features and tolerances are adapted from 60 year old technology. Older technology was designed with these Old school Dino Oil standards in mind.
5. Synthetic oil packages are even more inconsistent. They are relatively cheap in price. Many are copied and sold without regulation. The biggest sell they have is their unique color combinations. Because we cannot see a chemical compound many oil companies will tint or color their oils to expand upon the SEE SEE, Hear Hear, feel feel concept of sales. This is important when we buy products because we do not have a tribology laboratory in our garrage to test used oil, and to simply look at the color of an oil does it a huge injustice.

Oil sampling at a single laboritory in an independent study is the only way to really tell. So I tend to lean on the 1996 NY Taxi test done by consumer reports. Check it out…..

Consumer Reports - The Surprising Truth About Motor Oils

Want to switch the tranny to Spectro also but no one in Jacksonville Florida carrys it, guess ill have to order it on line, unless some one on the forum knows where i can get it hint hint, Jack

Try to find Redline with shockproof. It seems easier to locate than Spectro here in Marietta and works fine. No more tranny whine and easy to shift.

Just goes to show, we all hear what we want to hear. If you really want a quiet engine, try straight dino 60wt.

Thorns

Try to find Redline with shockproof. It seems easier to locate than Spectro here in Marietta and works fine. No more tranny whine and easy to shift.

Thanks Nuke found it at Pep Boys

Just goes to show, we all hear what we want to hear. If you really want a quiet engine, try straight dino 60wt.

Thorns

well speaking from this quarter - there ain't no mistaking the valve ticking going on here - frequency varies with engine rpm's..but it's definitely there. May just be the personality of this scoot...which i'm still in the process of getting to know.

but i did do the pull the clutch in for 3 sec before shifting from neutral to first today..I had to do a double-take to make sure it actually went into gear, it was so quiet...i mean nothing in way of a clunk.. the practicality of routinely doing this when riding is probably something i'll probably not be doing..but an interesting test -

Currently I use Castrol 20/50 for oil and for the Primary/Tranny I use the HD Transmission Fluid in both,. I change my engine oil every 1250 miles and tranny/primary every 5000 miles.
Question is,
1. Are you using Synthetic 20/50 in all three, oil, tranny and primary?
2. If so, how often (in miles) does it need to be changed?

I avoid the neutral to 1st clunk by just pulling in the clutch lever, counting to 3 then shifting to 1st, it gives the clutch basket time to spin down. By the way I'm a believer in synthetics too.

Clutch basket is still turning with the engine (compensator sprocket - chain - clutch basket sprocket). With the clutch lever pulled in, the friction plates are not in solid contact, so the tranny is not driven with the gears are engaged.

TQ

One other thing about shifting, sometime you have to pull in the clutch lever, and move the bike back to start the ratchet mechanism to engage the proper gear, letting out the clutch a bit to help engage the next gear up or down.

Not to much to do with switching to Mobil I, but in addition to avoid "clunk", being in the wrong gear and trying to find neutral, just releasing the clutch a bit and rocking the bike to move trans gear/ratchet mechanism a bit has helped me anyway...

Last edited:
Back