free website stats program Summer Service Charley | Harley Davidson Forums

Summer Service Charley

Rocket J.

That's what it's called in the USMC. I'm not sure about the term in the USA, USN, USAF, etc (Doggies, Squids, Wing wipers,etc). It's where you roll up the sleeves of your utilities (Army calls them BDUs), go to a short sleeved shirt and lightweight trousers during the hot months. Well, I've gone summer service with my Electra Glide. I removed the tall windshield, bat wing extensions, and fork mounted wind deflectors to let more cooling air in and around my bike. What a difference. I get much less buffeting by strong wind and especially by head-on 18 wheelers blowing past on the 2 lane state routes. Even better is that in 4 tanks of gas since I've removed all that wind catching gear from my bike I've averaged 45 mpg. That's 5 mpg better than with the cold weather gear installed.

I'm also enjoying looking over the stubby little opaque windshield instead of hunkering down behind the tall one.

Has anyone else experienced positive aspects when they remove the tall windshield and wind deflectors?

I used to do the same thing when I had my Ultra it made a big difference down here in the Carolina heat.Not sure I ever checked the MPGs though.

Well, I've lost touch. Been retired too long, I reckon. I do remember the Army had a cool way of rolling them up. Looked much neater than the Marine way.

I've got this sinking feeling that MPG is going to become more important to us all very soon. Oil/gas prices are rapidly going up again. I can live with 45 mpg on my Harley.

Back