free website stats program Stripped bolt head | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stripped bolt head

once you get it out replace all of the screws with hex head screws. I bought SS hex head screws at Ace Hardware and threw away those torx screws. Now the screws on the primary cover match the ones securing the outer primary cover. to me it makes that whole side look better. Dont know why thE moco uses those torx screws anyway.

After I bought a couple replacement bolts from the dealer and drilled the heads per Gliders recommendation (griping all the way to my wife that they should have used hex heads in there instead) I noticed the outer cover was put on with hex... so I went in and told the wife "I'm replacing those torx with hex next time I change it" - to which she politly said "what took you so long to come to that conculsion" :D

So - next time the cover comes off

BTW - for anyone else not sure about putting a drillbit to your bike, it was pretty painless and simple (bolt threads backed out by hand once the head and cover were off).

once you get it out replace all of the screws with hex head screws. I bought SS hex head screws at Ace Hardware and threw away those torx screws. Now the screws on the primary cover match the ones securing the outer primary cover. to me it makes that whole side look better. Dont know why thE moco uses those torx screws anyway.

The robots have a much easier time with torx bolts when assembling the bikes I use a dab of anti sieze under the captured washer on these bolts, dis similar metals dont get along good here or any where on a bike JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same on my 10 RK, I borrowed a Dremmel and put a slot across the middle. Took a screw driver and tapped it with a hammer and it tweaked it enough to screw the rest of the way out....

go with Gliders method. but I'd use left hand bits...it'll probably take the whole bolt right out.

I work in fasteners and go to find a solution to different stuck bolts all the time. Alot of people don't realize that if there is red loctite that it needs to be heated to release...you can beat it all you want but it needs to be crystalized to let loose. We also don't know if it's been used or not and by the time we think about it there is normally a busted bolt....or two.

We have to watch for the right tool and then if you think there is a chemical lock on the fastener then you need to take the right steps to release it.

Removing the head thing is a great way....then when you got the cover off them you have access to it. If it doesn't just pull out then you can weld a nut on the end and use a wrench. I work on 4x4's alot and use the weld on nut alot....keep the splater off the bike. Not alot of people ride a bike like mine....when mine falls off the stand is just adds questions at the shows.

Back