free website stats program street glide noise | Harley Davidson Forums

street glide noise

chuck60

I have a 2012 FLHX, after i ride for a while and put the bike in neutral I notice a lot of chatter in the tranny or primary not sure witch. if I pull the clutch in the noise stops. Doe's this have something to do with the way the gears are cut? Has any one with the newer bikes notice this?

Same thing with my 2012 RGU and from what I hear it is an inherit trait (neutral rattle) with these newer bikes. It is annoying but not enough that I am going to tear her down to see what can be done if anything.

Maybe someone can chime in on what is causing it and if there is a fix for it??

I can already hear the dealer, "they all do that" :p

I have a 2012 FLHX, after i ride for a while and put the bike in neutral I notice a lot of chatter in the tranny or primary not sure witch. if I pull the clutch in the noise stops. Doe's this have something to do with the way the gears are cut? Has any one with the newer bikes notice this?

HMMMM, bet The MOCO has out sourced the Trannys JMO Try a better lube (READ) tranny gear oil like Spectro and let us know Good Luck:s

There is a moco bulletin out on this. M-1304 - big twin neutral rattle.
My 09 had it and my 11 has it even worse!
And, yes, they say it is normal.

The bulletin says - When a motorcycle is at normal operating temperature and in neutral, a rattling sound may be heard on the right side coming from the area of the transmission side cover. This sound is normal and is referred to as neutral rattle. To verify the sound is neutral rattle, pull in the clutch lever and hold it for 10 to 15 seconds. If the sound stops, it is neutral rattle. Neutral rattle is caused by the necessary backlash within the first gear pair.
Theres more but too much for me to type

Again bulletin number is M-1304 and was issued on 8-31-2011

Gary D.

Last edited by a moderator:
one issue is this all in one oil that Harley recommends for both the primary and transmission. Try some Redline synthetic trans oil, it is thicker and will add a cushion to the gear meshing.

Changed the Motor Oil (Mobil 1 20-50) and Primary Fluid (HD Formula+) at 100 miles and then did all 3 holes again at the 1,000 mark using Spectro in the Trans. and made no difference in the sound but made a HUGH difference with how the Trans. shifts. The trans is real quiet and happy now :D

I have not used a stethoscope to really track down where the noise is coming from but it sounds more to me to be coming from inside the primary. If it gets louder I will then start worrying about it, till then it is what it is I guess.

Back