free website stats program Street Bob shocks | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Street Bob shocks

So they won't turn either direction you turn them ?

I colud not turn them, wrong technique I guess, or they were super tight/brand new. OK now.
The dealer said the bike was delivered in the 3 position, and I did move it up to what I thought was 4.

The bike still dragged the muffler clamps when I realized they delivered it on the 1 position! I am 220 lbs.

I like the rear shocks on my Super Glide very much, I thought they were the same as a Street Bob. Same wheels and tires too.

Thanks for your help folks.

. . .. .. . OK now.
The dealer said the bike was delivered in the 3 position, and I did move it up to what I thought was 4.

The bike still dragged the muffler clamps when I realized they delivered it on the 1 position! I am 220 lbs.

I like the rear shocks on my Super Glide very much, I thought they were the same as a Street Bob. Same wheels and tires too.
.. .. . .. ..

I think I need some new shocks. I keep mine only one turn up from the bottom because if I stiffen the springs any more they jar my back on dips. They don't seem to 'buffer' the bump any, it's just all spring. I weigh 224lbs (with no clothes or boots on and if I don't eat too much BBQ) but fortunately my wife only weighs 120lbs.

I like the sound of those progressive 440's that cdn-bigfoot spoke of. Gonna be awhile till I can afford to buy them though.

Sounds like a few of you would do well looking into some bagger shocks - I put on the 13" version (54565-09) on mine and it turned out to be one of the best (and cheapest) changes I made to the bike. Shocks were new take offs and only cost $52 on ebay, another $55 for the line kit and quick-air fittings was all that's needed.

25a.jpg

Sounds like a few of you would do well looking into some bagger shocks - I put on the 13" version (54565-09) on mine and it turned out to be one of the best (and cheapest) changes I made to the bike. Shocks were new take offs and only cost $52 on ebay, another $55 for the line kit and quick-air fittings was all that's needed.

25a.jpg

I know a couple of guys did the same thing as you. I thought about, even liked the idea. But I don't have the money for 2" over front tubes right now to equal the out the rear 1" height rise.

Most that I have seen using them have kept the stock fork tubes as I have, they are a little higher but I have found the change to be 100% beneficial, much better ride and control of the rear and very easy to adjust for lighter or heavier loads.

Not an expert on HD geometry but am an ex ducati rider.
Higher back end tends to:

speed up steering (quicker turn in)

loads up front tyre faster on turn in to corner (gets the front tyre gripping)

still retains stability of longer wheelbase Vtwins on open bends.
Some caution needed:

best to be on the gas asa after turning in and throughout the turn
off the front brakes before turning in.
use rear brake to scrub speed if you have gone in too hot

(in other words, standard riding stuff)
So for most road riders no problems.
Bonus point-if you lose the back end, you often have time to react and mebbe chop the throttle and highside (oh boy that one hurts) or stick a corner out (leg or arm) if you lowside.
If you lose the front end, its usually so fast that you wonder why you are looking at the sky instead of the road.You often get up and limp away.

Bit long winded but P51 could be on to something.

I run a set of wilbers suspension at the back and boy did that make a difference..

I've never heard of them-just checked them out-wow! -what sort of price and where did you get em?-I'm in europe too-france.

Think they are available stateside as well?

Back