free website stats program Strange sound coming from rear wheel area | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Strange sound coming from rear wheel area

That could be the culprit here. The belt seems real tight. I checked the plastic fender extender but it seemed ok. Wasn't able to ride it tonight either. More storms as soon as I got home.

How difficult is it to adjust the belt? I'd hate to take it to the dealer for that but I don't think it would be a good idea to let it go until the 1,000 mile service. I have a lift and a service manual.

My 07 NT has a similar howl in the back that I notice around 30 mph give or take. The dealer service manager rode it and said he has heard this before and said it was the the 200mm rear tire. I thought it might have been the belt, it also felt tight to me but he said no it was the tire.

If you think it is the belt by all means take it to the dealer but the belt is kept fairly tight. You should only have about 1/4 to 5/8 in deflection (play) with 10lbs of force applied. Buy a belt deflection tool it's easy to use and comes with instructions. My night train would hum at low speeds and even worse when I made a turn to the right while going slow. I never did find out what was causing it. My RK does it too I think mine is caused by a combo of trans noise and the IDS. I'm not really concerned with it but I can't hear the noise your bike is making to know if I would be concerned or not. For your own peace of mind take it to the dealer and let us know how you make out.

Guys,
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The more I read I'm begining to think that it's one of those sounds that I wouldn't have heard on my 05 wide glide because of the bags. I think the bags are directing more of the road sound upwards.

I haven't been able to take it out since I first posted this (work has been a little crazy lately). It rained overnight so as soon as the roads dry I'm heading out on the bike.

Just wanted to update the post here. Last week I took the bike to the dealer to have them look at it. Like alot of you have suggested, they determined that the belt needed an adjustment. When I picked up the bike the sound was gone. Over the last week I think I have heard the beginings of the sound coming back slowly (or I may just be a little paranoid).

I had a singing noise coming from my back wheel about a week ago. I looked under the rear fender and found a fat lady with a horned hat.......don't know what that was about!!!!

I had a singing noise coming from my back wheel about a week ago. I looked under the rear fender and found a fat lady with a horned hat.......don't know what that was about!!!!

Was she singing???

Back