free website stats program Strange rattling noise.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Strange rattling noise..

Mavagrand

..sounds like its coming from the right side and only shows up when my bike is at idle with the front brake activated. Doesn't do it with just the rear brake, stops if I increase the RPMs, but leave it at idle and pull in the front brake there it is. It sounds like a screw rolling around inside the air cleaner cover.
Bike is a 2008 FLHTC stock with 36K. It's never easy diagnosing a new rattle so I thought I'd check with you guys. Any ideas?

A friend of mine had a similar sound - turns out it was one of the heat shields was loose - might want to give it a try

rattles and squeaks can make ya nuts...... I found my foot brake pedal making this horrible buzz like rattling. Greased it and that helped some but the noise seems to come from the pushrod on the master cylinder mostly. What do you do about that?

Broken fairing brackets can make all kinds of different sounds.

My '07 had a broken fairing bracket. It cracked right in the middle causing all kinds of noises. Never dropped, but broke from fatigue. I wound up welding it back together, and knock on wood, it hasn't broke again.

The fairings on this bike kind of remind me of the fiberglass hoods on the International S3800 chassis mirrors and how the brackets like to break on them and crack the hood.

I have had a few similar rattling noises over the past riding seasons and I traced mine to:

- loose chrome exhaust shield. just went over all the screws on each shield and only 1 was slightly loose. Fixed the noise.

- loose footboard. (I have extender brackets on them). Rattled like crazy at idle, and took me a while to clue in that it only rattled when my feet were off the floorboards. Tightened the bolts just enough to snug it up and the noise was gone.

- my friends front chrome fender tip piece was loose and rattled at idle. Tightened and fixed the noise.

Hope you find it soon and it's an easy fix...

I have had a few similar rattling noises over the past riding seasons and I traced mine to:

- loose chrome exhaust shield. just went over all the screws on each shield and only 1 was slightly loose. Fixed the noise.

- loose footboard. (I have extender brackets on them). Rattled like crazy at idle, and took me a while to clue in that it only rattled when my feet were off the floorboards. Tightened the bolts just enough to snug it up and the noise was gone.

- my friends front chrome fender tip piece was loose and rattled at idle. Tightened and fixed the noise.

Hope you find it soon and it's an easy fix...

Thanx, bobalu, I'll check all those areas.

Also check the right front floor board pivot bolts. You can duplicate noise just by banging on floor board itself....:s

Back