free website stats program Stooopid question about turn signals | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stooopid question about turn signals

The older bikes used a reed switch in the speedo that counted pulses to turn the signals off. The newer ones are time and distance and if you stand still they do not cancel.

I learned a long time ago that there is no such thing as a "stoopid question"

Ya don't know what ya don't know.

Thanks for the explanation Glider, cause I always thought they were on a lean sensor.:D

No such thing as a stupd question. Just that things are sometimes more complex than they should be. Actually turns signals self cancel from feedback data link info passing thru the BRN/VIO wire from the speedometer / odometer to the Turn Signal & Security Module (TSSM) that the internal processor counts the pulses based on how far you have traveled PLUS logic (AND info from your tilt alarm sensor) to determine when time and distance is reached to cancel. That is why you can ride 100's of feet straight up, the signal does not cancel, (they may have a "watchdog" timer that cancels if on for more than x # of minutes), but I have not found that to be the case.

But once in a turn, the canceling sequence starts, so in as little as 10-20ft...from what I have experienced riding my '04 sporty, and looking at the wiring diagram in detail. I also had a speedometer cable break on my old Yamaha metric and the self canceling never worked until I replaced the cable on their mechanical based system. :33:

Back