free website stats program stock shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

stock shocks

Unless its been sitting in storage for quite a few months (which isn't, in your case) I'd say you have a leak somewhere. You can check by pressurizing the system & spray/brush soapy water on compression fittings (top of shocks) & air valve assembly...look for leaks (bubbles).

My 97 FLHT had a defective shock that would do this, I found the leak with a spray bottle with soapy water:s

Could be because we've been in winter time... As the ambient temps go down pressures drops. See how it reads when the weather warms up a bit.

how regularly do you check em? cos regular checking will cause a loss of pressure even if there is no leak

I'll throw my 2 cents in. Just went through this on the left shock of '08 SG. This seems to be the one to go first because the bike resting on that side when parked. Noticed losing just a little pressure weekly and pulled rubber housing down on shock to find slight oil residue on shaft. Cleaned thoroughly and came back within 48 hrs. Replaced shock and now is perfect. Observation: Check pressure before riding and than after. It will increase by 3-5lbs because of the air warming up (expanding) in the shock, etc. I think I'm right on this, but the guru's will know.:D Oh, and by useing the Harley pressure gauge checking will lose .5-1lb of pressure.

My shocks lose about 5 lb a month. Is that normal?

When you say 5 lbs a month - is that on both shocks or just one? If it's only on one, then I'd guess a leak,but if it's on both maybe it's the gauge?

=================================================

My shocks lose about 5 lb a month. Is that normal?

Do both shocks lose 5 lbs. or is just one? If it's just one I'd guess it's a fitting or a split in the line - but if both lose 5 lbs. I'd take a closer look at the gauge - you can also try using a different gauge

Last edited by a moderator:
Back