free website stats program Stock 6R12 Plugs | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stock 6R12 Plugs

I have always run stock plugs. Parts manager always tries to get me to use gold plugs says all the guys in the shop use them and they are better. I will stick with stock...work fine to me.

The reason for different plugs is performance parts, and carb vs inj. once a performance part or kit is installed, chip,exhaust,air filters ect...having the correct plug is essential to getting the best performance, and temperature range. to protect your motor.

Thanks for your report on your plugs experimentation & resistance readings, cycleman.
I've got an 00 Sportster 1200C & was thinking of getting those Accel double platinum plugs or Champions but after reading about the variable/dynamic resistance readings you got on the stock HD plugs, while all other plugs you measured registered a static 5K of resistance, that tells me (as an electrician, anyway) that something's up with those HD plugs being an important integral part of HD's Evolution ignition system. They're not ordinary run of the mill plugs, obviously.
So thanks to your info, it's the HD 6R12PP plugs & none other for me now. I bought my 1200 Sporty about 3 months ago & it had & still has 3rd party plugs in it (Autolites, I think they are), but man, sometimes that 1200 lets loose a really loud bang on startup. And it seems to be missing at lower RPMs also. I'm hoping the HD plugs I'll be getting will prove to be the missing link in the obviously interdependent components of my engine's ignition system & it'll all get back to doing what it's designed by the HD engineers to do.
Good thread. :)

Back