free website stats program Still not happy with my jetting | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Still not happy with my jetting

First i went from a 40 to a 42 pilot... It quit coughing while picking it up off idle, then it coughed after decel then picked back up.

Then changed the 42 to a 45 and it quit coughing all together. So i moved on to the main jet. And i think i have the main where i'm happy with it, great MPG, good throttle response, smooth roll off. But i will agree my pilot circuit seems rich.

Find a 44 pilot perhaps? I might try that. Scared to go much smaller in fear of my coughing returning.

The good news is... I'm comfortable working on my carb now, and i'm getting a good understanding of how it works. Thanks a bunch for taking me through CV carb 101. You guys ROCK!

Spend the $40 for a replacement and keep your sanity, a drilled slide can and will cause surging. :D

It hunts from the added vacuum causing an uneven fuel flow.

Spend the $40 for a replacement and keep your sanity, a drilled slide can and will cause surging. :D

It hunts from the added vacuum causing an uneven fuel flow.

After breaking the carb down 4-5 times and almost being fully satisfied with the way its running i'm not sure i want to change up TBH. It was a royal pain to tune, i will admit. But now i'm SO close to being totally happy with the way she's purrin seems like it would be a shame to spend 35-40 bucks for a new slide so i can start over.

No starting over, you just move the needle with any washers to the new slide and reassemble the way it came apart.

You're fighting yourself here doing this. If close enough is good enough, then leave it half way there :D

Common, after all you put me through here??? :lolrolling

It's a good thing I don't charge for this info or the $40 would sound cheap:s

Where i ride is averaging about 900ft. I leaned up the mixture screw by almost a full turn and now the transition from pilot to main is a ton smoother, it was set at about 2.5 turns out, now at 1.75 turns out. I'll probably leave it as it is for now. Later i plan on putting V&H longshots on... I'll most likely go thru the carb again at the same time with a new slide. But for now i'm pretty happy with the way its running. On the way back from Branson we went through some of the twisties in northern Arkansas. Met up with a guy on a rented TC fuel injected Heritage who was moving right along... From a dead stop he couldn't walk away from me while trying, and he was gettin on it. We were playing around a bit, but nothing to serious. Just fun riding. I had kinda wanted to see how it performed next to a similar size fuel injected model anyway. I kinda thought mine was running a tad better to be honest. I was two up with my woman, she was loving every minute of it :) Good times and many more to come!

Now you tell me you ride at 900 feet.:bigsmiley30:

Sheesh!!!!

Nobody can make accurate recommendations without all the facts.Every time you post a bit more of the puzzle comes out.
I ride at sea level and the settings I recommend are for just that. The higher altitudes need less fuel.

:mgun

Back