free website stats program Stator | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stator

I'm new here but would like to throw this at ya. the primary oil was smellin burnt.. every now and then I heard a screech on the primary side. battery went dead and bike killed. Charged battery, unpluged wire from regulator from where it goes into primary cover, tested voltage which should go up about 10 v for every 1000rpm.. nothing.. the compensator nut backed off. the rotor spun. Ain't that something. When you gotta pull it all apart you change rotor & stator,,, also changed chain shoe.

Sorry to read that, but YEP - that's the way it goes when the compensator nut backs off. Been there, done that, but no tee shirt!

I would also suggest changing out the VR. These things usually fail close together. I know that your stator fried because of the mechanical problem introduced when the compensator nut backed off rather than from old age, but the result of the failure may have impacted the VR. If funds are too tight to just do it, then at least keep an eye on the electrics to try and spot a VR problem that might impact the battery too. Here are some good checks:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back