free website stats program Starting probs. (HELP) | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting probs. (HELP)

Yo I have a 93 elect glide big bore 89 cu in that wont start on its own. Click Click Click. 1st check battery 12.75 and 12.25 under load out of bike. 2nd all batter connections vary clean but reclean. 3rd took cover off starter relay looks like brand new no test. 4th took starter out check at rebuilder as well as my own bench test all good, but replace with a 1.7kw anyway. HELP I still have Click Click Click except if I jump from a running veh to the frame ground not battery and bring revs above 1000 rpms the bike starts real nice. Any help would be appreciated.:newsmile038:

Battery cables probably need replacing. Try using an additional jumper cable from the POS on the battery to the starter lug where the stock cable mounts and try a start, then do the same with the NEG side too.

Hey Glider txs for the suggestion. O k then now removed all battery cables and replaced with #1 welding cable, thicker nice stuff. threw in new starter relay as well and guess what thats right Click Click Click. So took battery out connected car battery and starts right up nicely. Had (ENOUGH) went back to battery depot and had my battery checked (AGAIN). Now I get a reading of 68 cold cranking amps go figure ay, 250 would be nice so I leave with new battery get home install and try to start O YA that sweet sound of a harley now were talkin. As Im riding into the sunset I thank you vary much for the help. P.S. new to the sight and its fantastic. Txs again:bigsmiley23:

Glad you got it sorted but you put the cart before the horse. You start with the battery and work out from there but the welding cables are the way to go and money well spent.

Kinda weird that the troubleshooting started correctly with the battery, then cables/connections but then the substitution method began with the solenoid, starter, battery cables, battery...puts new meaning to the end justifies the means eh? :newsmile071:

Does anyone have a good picture illustration diagram on the assembley of the silonoid parts ? I bought a kit and my $50.00 CLYMER Service & Repair manual does not show an illustration on how the parts reassemble, same bike starter as above for a 93 BT FLHS anyone have a diagram illustraion they could post ? Thanks

Don't know if this will help you any or if you are looking for just the solenoid diagram.

HD1063040.gif

Thanks, I put that picture in my picture program and it cleared up real nice is just what I needed Thank -You !

Back