free website stats program starting problem | Harley Davidson Forums

starting problem

steves09flhr

my 09 flhr starts but makes a grinding sound its not the starter (took it apart to rebuild it) the gears and the drive are both good ...when starting the battery amps decrease... someone mentioned the auto comression release and another told me i needed a bigger starter...was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and what was the fix

Any mods to the motor? Age of the battery? How many volts does the battery drop on starting?

Could be the compensator. It's been a weak link since the 96 engine came out.
There are several articles about them in the self help section (top left of page).

Are you getting any starter stall where it cranks half a turn and stops? Mine was just doing that along with the occasional grinding especially when hot. Turned out it was signs my battery was on it's way out. Sure enough it died two weeks ago and left me stranded. I know you stated you just replaced it but, check the terminals for tightness and that they are nice and clean if you haven't already. A loose positive or ground will cause problems like grinding. You could also have the battery load tested at a local auto parts store like Autozone if there's one near you for free if you don't have the means to test it yourself.

my 09 flhr starts but makes a grinding sound its not the starter (took it apart to rebuild it) the gears and the drive are both good ...when starting the battery amps decrease... someone mentioned the auto comression release and another told me i needed a bigger starter...was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and what was the fix

Does this bike have compression releases and a Screaming Eagle package? You may be having starter stall due to higher compression?

Back