free website stats program starting problem | Harley Davidson Forums

starting problem

slowboy

a few weeks ago, I rolled Bad Boy out of basement, hit start button, and only got a click...after several attempts, I pushed it back into the basement...after getting bike back into basement, I tried again, and it fired right up...since then I've put about 500 miles on it with no starting problem...yesterday I rode it to bike dealership...when I got ready to leave, did not even get a click when I tried to start it...rolled bike into dealership shop, and they put it on charger...soon as they put it on charger, it fired up...this is a new battery, and when testing charging system with meter it showed that it was charging right...shop mechanic said it might be the 'starter clutch'...
it's been starting fine since yesterday...
this morning I'm going to see what I can find wrong, and I am wondering if there is some sort of troubleshooting sequence I need to go through to simplify tracing down bike's starting problem...

Thanks,
Keith

Just a click isn't a starter clutch, that would be a starter spin without engaging with the ring gear or a grind.
It sounds like a bad battery connection. Remove, clean and reinstall the connections on the battery. Neg off first and on last.

Back