free website stats program Starting Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting Noise

Az Rider

I'm hearing a banging, grinding sound on start up when hot some times.
I have a 2007 Street Glide with 50,589 miles.
Any suggestions?
Compensator?
Chain tensioner?
Starter?

In doing some research the comp. sprkt. for '07 came about in '06. Then on '09 it changed, then another change in '14, and another for '17 & '18. So I would say no to the upgraded compensator. The P/N for the '06 is no longer available. It has most likely been upgraded to a new P/N
tourbox

I had a very similar problem on my 98' Springer, and it was the ignition control module under the seat. It only happened when the engine was hot, and was related to the timing setting used to start a hot engine. I would take a close look at the ring gear that the starter engages on your clutch basket. Also check the teeth on your starter pinion gear.

HDDon, it has the original standard compensator from 07. Upgraded from the 06 version.
Now that I have it opened up, the compensator seems ok other than its a little worn on the back side and the teeth on the sprockets look ok. I'll have to pull the starter to check the teeth on it.
Thanks for the info.

The teeth on your ring gear on your clutch basket look good. I think that you can turn the pinion gear one way or another to get it to extend from it's enclosure to get a better look at it.

Back