free website stats program Starting motor for 10 sec then shuting it down | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting motor for 10 sec then shuting it down

Every time i go to Paradise Hd (which is seldom cause i cant stand there ponceyness) a salesman starts a bike for 10 sec then shuts it off. This seems to happen acouple times while im in there. For some reason i can't see that being good for the motor. The short time its on the bike doesn't have the time to get any oil to the rings. And if you do that a bunch wouldn't it have a negative affect on the motor? I don't see them doing it at my usualy HD dealer Latus HD.

Any thoughts on this?

A significant portion of engine wear is predicated upon low lubrication at start up. Starting an engine and not allowing oil to reach the top end then shutting it off and repeating this some time later is only going to exacerbate the problem. Granted, I have no experience with new bikes (I ride a 69 FLH) but I have extensive experience with motorcycles (45 years) and this has always held true. Long story short, I wouldn't do it and wouldn't want a bike it had been done to.

Back