free website stats program Starting Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting Issues

Snowman88

I have a 2008 Ultra with 75,0000 miles on her and the bike runs great and has full power with no hesitation just like it always has but the last few weeks it has developed a starting problem.

It has always started on the first push but it began starting and then stalling and then it would restart with no problem so I changed the fuel filter thinking that would help. It did help some but not perfect.

I just changed the fuel pressure regulator thinking that would help and it did improve but still every once in a while it will take 3 tries to start.

I've ran Seafoam thru the fuel system a couple times after the filter and pressure regulator but it still has the problem on occassion.

I'm about ready to change out the Fuel injectors but I'm open to any suggestions.
Thanks

Is it worse when the fuel tank is low on fuel perhaps?

I could be off base with this because I'm not sure if your year has the same sensors as my 00RKC. If it does, pull your Crank and Cam sensors, clean and replace. Just a thought and should only take 10 minutes.

It actually acts worse when the tank is full? Don't know if thats for real yet I've only filled the tank a couple times since the pressure regulator was changed.

I would suggest giving the IAC valve (Idle Air Control) a cleaning as well and see if that helps. Some say carb cleaner is ok but I only use Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner. A little pricier at about $12 a can, but I'm careful around electrical sensors and it works great at removing any carbon or gunk from the valve. See this link >>>> Harley Davidson Forums

My 08 RK, at least, doesn't have an IAC, yours might not either. If this is primarily happening with short stops, like getting gas, try starting immediately after switching on, not waiting for the fuel pump to stop. My theory is fuel injectors seeping slightly and the mixture becomes too rich while stopped, then going the full prime cycle when hot makes it worse. Probably new injectors would cure it if that is the problem, but if fuel mileage is OK, save your money till later.

Well I pulled the IAC valve and it was pretty nasty. Cleaned it let it air dry for about 5 mins and put it back in and it took a couple tries to get her started. I should of air dried it more but my compressor was borrowed by a friend.
After I got it running I took a little ride maybe 20 miles parked it and damn she started nice, let it sit for 10 mins and she starts now like she used to.

Time will tell but I am finally feeling more confidence in the old girl again.
Thanks for the help Big AL....

Back