free website stats program Starting Issue When Hot. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting Issue When Hot.

What is Fretting?

from experience. stock comp kicked back on hot starts. Changed to SE comp problem solved on kickback, still get occasional dead stop on start if one cyclinder finishing a compression stroke. anyway then the grinding started and had the starter clutch go rather fast, perhaps 20 more starts.
IMO HD would not be going to the third SE Comp if the stock comp was not causing a suspected problem.
I plan this winter to pull the primary and check for the fretting often discussed, but other than that the 08A comp is an improvement

Up date: Dealer says that the "Starter Clutch" is bad.
Hmm....I didn't see anything listed as a starter clutch in the manual.

Up date: Dealer says that the "Starter Clutch" is bad.
Hmm....I didn't see anything listed as a starter clutch in the manual.

Yep that is what the dealer told me in 09 when my bike had 16,000 miles and they replaced the starter under warranty. The starter started to act up again in 2,000 miles so that's when I put the SE compensator sprocket in and I still have the same starter that the dealer put in in 09 and I have 53,000 miles on the bike.

I printed out a few postings that I found here about the SE Comp and the grinding sound in my bike. They said they will look at the Comp when they replace the Starter clucth. However, the Comp is a wearable item like tires and the drive belt.
So, my guess is that the Ext. Warranty will not cover it.

We will see. I'll end up getting the SE comp one way or another.

Yep that is what the dealer told me in 09 when my bike had 16,000 miles and they replaced the starter under warranty. The starter started to act up again in 2,000 miles so that's when I put the SE compensator sprocket in and I still have the same starter that the dealer put in in 09 and I have 53,000 miles on the bike.

However, the Comp is a wearable item like tires and the drive belt.
So, my guess is that the Ext. Warranty will not cover it.

I'll end up getting the SE comp one way or another.

That's hard to believe. I have never purchased an extended warranty contract. Does it list the parts that are excluded. I heard many times on this forum that guys only paid the difference between the stock comp and the SE comp when the stock comp went bad under warranty. I thought extended warranty covered the same parts as original warranty. If it does, it should be included.

But Bubbie is right about the SE comp. I have one & they do have issues in their stock configuration.

Mongo quote:

I just got a new front tire, I need to install it. It would not hurt to replace the bearings if they are cheap.[/QUOTE]

Quoted me 21.99 each from HD shop parts using the 9276A bearings..

I have heard that the New Improved Bearings out in 2012 model year, hold up. "A" suffix= the new bearing.:D

signed....BUBBIE

I really don't know. I was told by the Service Mgr that the Ext Warranty was not exactly the same as the original Factory warranty. I will find out on Thursday. I did mention that I would Pony up the difference of the Stock VS SE Compensator. The Service Mgr confirmed that most customers do the same thing. So, this seems (to me) to be a precedent that gives me some hope that I could get a new starter clutch and Compensator.
If I don't, life goes on and I still have a working bike to ride:D
However I do know what is needed to correct the issue.

That's hard to believe. I have never purchased an extended warranty contract. Does it list the parts that are excluded. I heard many times on this forum that guys only paid the difference between the stock comp and the SE comp when the stock comp went bad under warranty. I thought extended warranty covered the same parts as original warranty. If it does, it should be included.

But Bubbie is right about the SE comp. I have one & they do have issues in their stock configuration.

My compensator was covered under my HD extended warranty and I had the SE compensator installed and HD still covered it. I would think that since the 2011 and later model bikes come with the SE compensator sprocket that the HD dealers are only stocking the SE compensator sprocket because the compensator will work on all 96" and 103" engines including police bikes and trike models, it just wouldn't make sense for a dealer to carry too many versions of this part. Ask your dealer why HD started to use the SE compensator as stock equipment on the bikes starting in 2011.

Back