free website stats program Starting in gear | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starting in gear

Well there is the other extreme, I have seen riders coast and turn the ignition off in one motion while the bike is still moving...hey we're all in control and "know" what were doing...right? I just have an image of the guy accidentally turning the bike off with one motion and then locks or slips the front tire..."that would be the ONE time he says it would never happen...!":newsmile040:

Last edited:
Well there is the other extreme, I have seen riders coast and turn the ignition of in one moth ion while the bike is still moving...hey we're all in control and "know" what were doing...right? I just have an image of the guy accidentally turning the bike off with one motion and then locks the front brake..."that one time...!"

i turn mine off while coasting all the time. like when my 19 month old daughter is sleeping when i get home...dont want the loud pipes to wake her... lock the front brake? I am guessing your talkin about an ignition that will lock it if your turn it too far?

We had a good thread on ignition switch/kill switch a few months back. There was good logic for both ways. I think the overall majority was kill switch. I'm stubborn and use the ign. only because I don't want to forget and leave the lights on. Try a search for the thread, it's a good read.

i will check it out thanks!

The training course taught us to us the kill switch to stop the engine and the ignition swith to turn the bike off. They also taught us to not trust the nuetral indicator. Always pull the clutch and engage the front brake when starting. I believe this is standard practice.

The training course taught us to us the kill switch to stop the engine and the ignition swith to turn the bike off. They also taught us to not trust the nuetral indicator. Always pull the clutch and engage the front brake when starting. I believe this is standard practice.

I think someone noted earlier... MSF does teach it the way you said above...:) but to each his own... depends on the moment for me...

If you have a TBW throttle you always want to turn the bike off with the ignition switch ! Using the ignition switch will take the hand off the throttle and the bike will idle to the proper RPM so you DO NOT have a RPM memory issue , That is why most people with the TBW keep having to reset the ECM by doing the 4 on 4 off thing is because the throttle is tweeked one way or the other when they use the kill switch & a high idel is the result . Also using the ignition switch to shut down the bike insures that the electrical system is completly shut down , that way you DO NOT have to worry about a dead battery after leaving the bike for a few hours . The bike will start fine in gear and the slight pull forward only happens when the bike is cold . I park my bike in 1st gear all the time so I do not have to worry about the bike rolling . JMO

ironmark,

That's how it was explained to me when I purchased my Heritage and that is I have performed my shut down since day one without any problems and will continue to do so unless someone comes up with a better reason not to.

i turn mine off while coasting all the time. like when my 19 month old daughter is sleeping when i get home...dont want the loud pipes to wake her... lock the front brake? I am guessing your talkin about an ignition that will lock it if your turn it too far?

I do too. Pulling into a restaurant, were people are outside eating ect. The opposite would be pulling up blipping the throttle.

I seldom use the "kill" switch.

As far as the MSF course. This is probably done so you are familiar and in the "habit" of using the kill switch. If there is a time you really need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always pull clutch lever in when starting whether in gear or not. Disengages clutch from engine and spins/starts more freely, less mass for the starter to spin.

Back