free website stats program starter relay | Harley Davidson Forums

starter relay

craigsgn

Rewired My custom 94 wide glide using wire plus harness every thing works fine runs great except driving down road it will just quit. Still have lights but no start button can cross jump starter( it will not start) install new starter relay and it will run fine for 5 to 10 miles then starter relay goes bad again Obviousely it is in the ignition curcuit but cannot find any cut ,chaffed, burnt or shorted wires any suggestions? Thanks

Just a matter of tracing the circuits to find where the problem is. Check to see if you have spark when the problem occurs, may be difficult to check if you can't crank it, how about rolling jumps to start? Check the solenoid wire on the starter, they have a way of going bad from corrosion.

What if you jump the starter relay when this happens, will it crank and also at the starter. Possible a bad battery connection?

I checked the battery and connections it is ok. Went to the starter and the plastic cover that is bolted to the starter housing was loose (5/16 socket) do you think this could cause an over current on the relay?

Don't think that would have much bearing on the problem. Did you put a wrench on the battery terminals or just eye ball them? I like to remove and wire brush then and replace them then to be sure. What looks good isn't always good.

on some starters i know if that plastic cover on the starter relay is loose or cracked it can cause proplems because of that bolt that sits in it. the plate on the plunger needs a good contact with that. not sure if that makes much sence. Do you know if that one is the same set up?

Back