free website stats program Starter relay clicking..? | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter relay clicking..?

Hello all. I have a 07' Roadking Classic. It has worked well up until now. I rode it to the gas station the other day and filled up. When I went to start it again....nothing. So, I listened really close and when I press the ignition start button the starter relay clicks...but thats it. I thought maybe it was the starter relay, so I made a trip to the store and bought a new one. When I brought it home and swapped it with the old one....the same clicking happens with no engine start. :cry The bike is in "N", the engine switch is on run and I have not messed with the starter at all. Any suggestions?

First how old is the battery? Next check the battery connections at both ends to make sure they are clean and tight.

How old is the battery? Check the battery cable ends for cleanliness and tightness. Remember the cables have two ends! Check the voltage on the battery sitting and check it while trying to start it. Report back with the findings.

Hello all. I have a 07' Roadking Classic. It has worked well up until now. I rode it to the gas station the other day and filled up. When I went to start it again....nothing. So, I listened really close and when I press the ignition start button the starter relay clicks...but thats it. I thought maybe it was the starter relay, so I made a trip to the store and bought a new one. When I brought it home and swapped it with the old one....the same clicking happens with no engine start. :cry The bike is in "N", the engine switch is on run and I have not messed with the starter at all. Any suggestions?
How are the batt. cables, clean and tight? That might be the first thing you check.

Check the cable connections at the starter also, under the rubber protective boot

The battery is as old as the bike. But all of my accessories as well as lights seem to have plenty of power. The connections are clean and tight.

All the lights and accessories are working well. The connections seem clean and tight. But, I will pull the connections apart, clean em and attach them again. I'll post back.

With the age of the battery I would at least have it load tested.

I'll have the battery tested as well. Now would be the perfect time since I'll have the connections off to clean and tighten them.

Well, battery tests fine. I'll clean and reconnect everything. Hopefully that'll fix it. If not, I'm afraid of having to replace the starter. uggh

Back