free website stats program starter on a 97 softail custom | Harley Davidson Forums

starter on a 97 softail custom

Longhair

Wonder if somebody could help? I start my bike some times it doesn't turn over It seems it just spins. Would it just be the seliniod that i can change or do I need a new starter? This problem just started.

Sounds like the starter drive. You have to remove the primary cover to get at it. Not a big job, just takes a little time. You'll see it where the starter shaft and the clutch ring gear meet up. It bolts so the end of the starter shaft.

Looks something like this...

starterdrive89up.jpg

Last edited:
Starter drive for sure,same bike,year,and problem.Mine went out at 50,000 miles.Only problem I had in 64,000 miles!!!!! EVOS RULE!!!!!

It appears to be a Solonoid. Hard to tell like this. I guess the Starter Motor is spinning but not engaing in the the gear? Solonoid" i'd say.

It appears to be a Solonoid. Hard to tell like this. I guess the Starter Motor is spinning but not engaing in the the gear? Solonoid" i'd say.

Don't know about that one...

If the solenoid wasn't doing it's job (bad), the electrical circuit that it also furnished to the starter motor when the plunger pulls up wouldn't be there either and the starter motor wouldn't turn.

My money is on the starter drive here.

Back