free website stats program Start Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Start Problem

Kiwi 2 Aussie

I have a 1340cc 1997 Dyna, i didn't use it for a couple of weeks and she was hard to start and needed some fuel in the cylinders to get going. Went fine for 60km's then would not start again. I have replaced the plugs, leads and the vacuum hose from the top of the fuel tank but she will still not start, any suggestions of where to look next? Regards, Kiwi 2 Aussie.

Hi Bobwire, we did take the filter off and cleaned it and had the bike running without it but it ran very rough. Have been told it may be a leaking vacuum hose? Any thoughts? Cheers

I have a 1340cc 1997 Dyna, i didn't use it for a couple of weeks and she was hard to start and needed some fuel in the cylinders to get going. Went fine for 60km's then would not start again. I have replaced the plugs, leads and the vacuum hose from the top of the fuel tank but she will still not start, any suggestions of where to look next? Regards, Kiwi 2 Aussie.

If you have Compression, Spark and Gas It should fire off.

I had a 97 evo dyna but do not remember if it had a vacuum style Gas Valve Shutoff at the tank. If it does, check the vacuum line attached to it and carb., this would stop gas flow if bad or leaking or left off. .

It probably could be gas related from what you say here.. Are the plugs wet if pulled after your try to start sequence ? If not, I suggest ->

If plugs were dry (no gas),Remove air element, Use a spray bottle of gas, spray a little into venture of carb. (If no gas is there) and see if it will start and a little spray to keep it running .. This will trouble shoot for the lack of Gas. If it runs it shows this..

Then you can attack the shortage of Gas. gas tank valve to line to and into carb?

report findings please..

bubbie

Kiwi 2 Aussie, welcome to the HDTimeline forum...you said you took of the filter and cleaned it...how dirty was it and what type of debris did you find, rust okay, plastic liner from fuel tank or worse not so good. You may also want to check the fuel in the float bowl by draining it. Also check that back of that fuel petcock, if it has that vacuum diaphragm, pull the hose, check for fuel leakage out the back, could mean pin hole in there and check hose for cracking, apply a vacuum to the hose and see if fuel comes out with descent amount of flow if the problem is fueling.

Back