free website stats program start issues.....a simple solution? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

start issues.....a simple solution?

So I tried the security procedure this morning and I couldn't get the code to come up. For fun I tried it on my brother in laws bike (whose bike and keys are in the same shop as mine) and I was able to pull it off first try.

When I tried again on my bike, I noticed that the blinkers were going off shortly after I turn the ignition key on, which didnt happen on the other bike. In other words, it wasn't recognizing a fob in the first place so it began to blink anyway, making the whole procedure a moot point.

I pulled the manuel out and disconeccted the security module located on the left side of the fuses. Reconnected and tried again. Still the same thing, only this time the lights will continue to blink even without the key in there. Kinda funny to think my bike is in our little shop blinking away right now.

So we know its security/fob related. What would be the next step? Is there a way to completey reset the module/fob marriage?

Again thanks all for the help.....we're getting closer :)

(I am guessing that the procedure for a 2008 & 2009 are the same)

Are you saying if you turn the key on your bike to Ignition and Immediately Hold Both turn signal switches in,,, 5 dashes will not appear in the odometer window of the speedo?

Any chance the coin battery in the fob can be installed upside down?

Can you perform a WOW test to see if you have any stored codes? Especially "U" or "B" codes.

Hmmm...I may have tried the wrong procedure. The one I did was turn the ignition on-off-on-off-on then hit left signal twice and right signal once.

Almost positive the fob batteries are in correctly, but I will check them again.

The procedure you want to perform is the "I lost my fob" procedure. It is a procedure to by-pass the need for a fob should you loose it or the battery goes dead when your in the middle of no-where.

But it's not going to be of much help unless you know the 5 digit secret code to enter. That is a code you create and save in your wallet.

This is how my 2009 works,, just guessing yours may be the same way.

Actually I do know the code.

No kidding. That could be your life saver.
If the 2008 is the same as my 2009, try this. Lets say the code 5-6-3-4-2

Turn ign key ON and HOLD both turn signal buttons until 5 dashes appear in odometer.

Press Left turn signal switch 5 times, then press right button once.
Press Left button 6 times, then right button once
Press left button 3 times then right button once
Press left button 4 times then right button once
Press left button 2 times then right button once.

The blank spaces should now read your code of 56342
Bike should now crank without a fob being present.

This would prove it is not a marriage issue between the TSSM and ECM.

That did it! Fired right up! Just for fun after the bike was running, I checked the key fob batteries and sure enough, they were in upside down................heh..heh:D I'm going to draw a D on my forehead (for Dummy) to remind myself to not be one! Its funny how both fobs died in the same time frame....adding to my confusion.

The good thing is I learned a few things about the security codes.

Thanks every body! Thanks Hoople! Happy ridin, don't forget to check those batteries!

It would not be that unusual for the batteries to die at a fairly similar time as they are fitted at the same time and having a similar draw of power

Brian

Back