free website stats program Stalls when upright | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stalls when upright

If the carb is a wee bit suspect it is perhaps time for a full rebuild kit as the rubber tip on the float needle and some of the o rings do not last as long as they used to due to the composition of modern fuels

Brian

ok well,I changed the needle valve, adjusted the float, changed the pump diaphram, float bowl gasket, removed and cleaned the jets. Diddnt see anything really suspect while cleaning, except the diaphram was old. Run exactly the same as it was, and still stalls when i set it upright... sometimes it is so immidiate stall it must be electrical....

hay i just remembered the guy said it had an rpm safety thing, that it would shut off if the rpm was too high... maybe that thing is fritzed? anyone know where that would be?

ok well,I changed the needle valve, adjusted the float, changed the pump diaphram, float bowl gasket, removed and cleaned the jets. Diddnt see anything really suspect while cleaning, except the diaphram was old. Run exactly the same as it was, and still stalls when i set it upright... sometimes it is so immidiate stall it must be electrical....

hay i just remembered the guy said it had an rpm safety thing, that it would shut off if the rpm was too high... maybe that thing is fritzed? anyone know where that would be?

A built in Rev limiter? That would be in the ignition, Have you checked and cleaned the petcock? Is The gas cap venting?

really great page, but i was looking at the picture on it for reinstalling the diaphram and spring.... he put up a picture with the spring on the wrong side, and in print said "note, spring is on wrong side of diaphram" so I guess ill take that all apart now, and put the spring on the right side of diaphram...

12617d1333557489-stalls_when_upright-photoid36582.jpg

Attachments

• PhotoID36582.jpg
    PhotoID36582.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 19
well I fianally had some time... I stood the bike up while standing beside it, and it didnt stall... tried this a few times.
While the bike was on the kickstand I straitened the handlebars, and it died right away. Its something in the front end that when I straiten out the handlebars it dies, must be the kill switch.... shouldnt be any other wire that could do that?

Back