free website stats program Stage one question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage one question

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that I could retire a wealthy man! Ridiculous! I know at least two dozen people who are perfectly happy and satisfied with the dealer download. I've been told by numerous HD techs that for a simple stage one (airbox and slipons) the download is ALL you need. They also said high dollar tuners are a waste of money unless you're planning on further upgrades.
I have friends with touring bikes over 60,000 miles with just the download, and they all are running fine. Don't believe all the "you NEED a tuner" hype you read on the internet. My Road King Classic ran terrible with a Power Commander installed on it. After three different trips to the dyno and tuning adjustments, the tech finally told me to take the PC OFF my bike, and just go with the download. After doing just that, my bike ran GREAT again! He said that bypassing the 02 sensors, which tuners like the Power Commander does, is a BAD idea.
Fuel Management (EFI Tuning) | Utah Harley Tech Here is a good read, I have a good friend that is a master tech at a H D dealership and he would suggest any thing BUT the H D download:D

Hence why we recommend a Dobeck. No bypassing of the injectors, rather just altering their pulse width to add more fuel to an obviously too lean condition. Your friends needed a map download to support the stage 1 changes they made to their bikes. For about the same money as taking it to the dealer for the download, one can end up with a product that does allow further tuning if and when they desire to add cams or do a little headwork. I could care less about raising my rev limiter since my bike, at least the bagger will never see anywhere near that rpm. I haven't heard of anyone complain about or have the issues that PC owners have reported to experience requiring them to remove them and go back to the dealer to have them remap it. JMO
WAP.gif

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that I could retire a wealthy man! Ridiculous! I know at least two dozen people who are perfectly happy and satisfied with the dealer download. I've been told by numerous HD techs that for a simple stage one (airbox and slipons) the download is ALL you need. They also said high dollar tuners are a waste of money unless you're planning on further upgrades.
I have friends with touring bikes over 60,000 miles with just the download, and they all are running fine. Don't believe all the "you NEED a tuner" hype you read on the internet. My Road King Classic ran terrible with a Power Commander installed on it. After three different trips to the dyno and tuning adjustments, the tech finally told me to take the PC OFF my bike, and just go with the download. After doing just that, my bike ran GREAT again! He said that bypassing the 02 sensors, which tuners like the Power Commander does, is a BAD idea.
There are less offensive ways to disagree with a post.

There is a thread here on AK that shows what the AFR differences between a Stage-1 download and stock settings are. Timing is one of the problems, with little if any change for the download. Also, a Stage-1 download remains on the lean side, even for stock hardware. Feel free to compare the AFR settings of the two set-ups. I'll wait here for your justification of "ridiculous."

Yes. These machines will tolerate lean setups. They will do it just fine. That does not mean that a Stage-1 hardware upgrade without adequate AFR changes will result in full realization of potential available with a Stage-1 hardware upgrade. Again, If you look at the settings for a Stage-1 download, compared to a stock set-up, you will see that the Stage-1 is still on the lean side, even for a stock hardware setup. A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine was the head of the service department at the local dealership. He is the one that gave me the heads-up. I went in explicitely to get the download. He talked me out of it, along with folks here that are in the know. A radical change in management changed my friend's position in the company, or I would refer you to him.

Enjoy,
Rich P

There are less offensive ways to disagree with a post.

I'm sorry, I truly did not mean to be offensive. It was my feeble attempt, I guess, at being humorous. I apologize if I offended anyone. Not my intent at all.

Anyway, I had a very BAD experience with a Power Commander, and I've heard nothing but GOOD experiences with the download, mine included, so I just thought I'd tell everyone. Truthfully, other than people on the internet saying the download is a waste of money, I've never heard anything negative about the download at all. Everyone I know who has the download is extremely happy, their bikes run very well, and they have thousands of trouble free miles on them. That is my experience. Again, I apologize to anyone offended by my first post.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dr. Do,
I have read about that before, just saying what the service manager said.

Wow, look what I started.....LOL

I'm sorry, I truly did not mean to be offensive. It was my feeble attempt, I guess, at being humorous. I apologize if I offended anyone. Not my intent at all.

No offense taken by anyone fxdc :D

As you can see, we may differ in opinions and get passionate about our responses, but in the end, everyone is just trying to offer sound recommendations based on experience such as you did. There's several ways to skin a cat :p

Anyway, I had a very BAD experience with a Power Commander.

I don't know what problem you had with your Power Commander but mine has been on my '07 Ultra since 2008. Got a printout from the dyno run and it has a very smooth HP/Torque reading. Fuel line is smooth in the middle.
Showed the printout to Scotty (a fuel tech for J&P Cycles who worked on their record setting streamliner) and asked if I needed any changes and he said no. About as good as a person could ask for.

Very happy with my Power Commander. Running their download for SE mufflers and SE A/C

I think the crux of the PC/TFI/download debate boils down to what your ultimate goals are. Some folks want to maximize power and torque, others mainly want to eliminate heat, still others simply want their bike back to the way it was on the showroom floor but sounding a little better. There are products for each of these applications and often things get mixed and matched and don't turn out so well. Then we immediately blame the product for being inferior!

Also, these are all mechanical devices and it's impossible for them to come out of the manufacturing process as identical items. Some will inevitably under perform or malfunction. This is when you find out how good a company's customer service is.

Back