free website stats program Stage 1 upgrade, but not louder? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 upgrade, but not louder?

To get a little more performance and a cooler running engine you need to take the catalytic out of the head pipes, you can gut the stock head pipes or buy aftermarket head pipes. If you run head pipes that don't have the cat in them then you will get better performing cooler running bike and the sound will stay close to the same. Of course a tuner as well to help the bike run cooler too.

Hey sorry MtnMan, for high jacking your post. Ironmark, I have a 2009 Ultra I bought this summer. It has Rinehart slip-ons, installed at HD for original owner. I’m doing the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and GEN 3 as winter project. Should I remove the cat. Out for better performance? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Hey sorry MtnMan, for high jacking your post. Ironmark, I have a 2009 Ultra I bought this summer. It has Rinehart slip-ons, installed at HD for original owner. I’m doing the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and GEN 3 as winter project. Should I remove the cat. Out for better performance? Any help would be appreciated. :)

No problem, I hope I can learn from the responses!:)

Armin

I’m doing the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and GEN 3 as winter project. Should I remove the cat.

If you enrich the A/F ratio or bypass the O2 sensors, it is not a question of should you remove the cat. You must remove the cat. Enriching the A/F ratio will always increase hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide coming out the exhaust pipe. This immediately forces the CAT into working 100% overtime and as a result will overheat, clog and destroy the cat in no time at all.

I am not sure where the cat is located on the 09 models, on the 08 and earlier models the cat is in the mufflers and the new bikes have the cat in the head pipes. I believe that a free flowing exhaust system helps in the performance of the bike but you still need some back pressure but the baffles provide the required amount of back pressure. The biggest advantage to removing the cat is that the bikes engine runs cooler.

The headpipes on the '09 models were "catless", so if the mufflers have been replaced, the cat is gone.

Back