free website stats program Stage 1 or Not | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 or Not

--Bonez--

Ok guys I'm thinking about doing a stage one upgrade but I've some questions about it before I do it...! Like whats the pros and cons.? My biggest concern here is how a stage 1 Air Cleaner can perform if it comes a rain while I'm out riding.... I mean it's basically an open-air filter/Cleaner that is exposed to the elements... I want to know if anyone has had a problem with these stage 1s when caught out in the rain

Not all air cleaner filters are exposed to the rain, I would not have one where the filter is open and subject to getting wet. Some think it's cool to have an open filter but cool doesn't get you home if you're caught in the rain.
  • I think a better option is a K & N filter in a stock or custom housing will fit the bill for air intake. JMHO.

Last edited:
Right on... Ive uploaded a pic of the stage one I was talking about... Would this be considered an open filter.? Also If i go with the high flow K&N Filter would the stock cover actually fit over it

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 10
Yes that would be out in the open, my filter looks the same as that one and my cover fit fine, mine had the stage 1 filter (not K&N) on it when I bought it. Talk to a bike shop or dealer about what housing you need for the K&N filter.

Last edited:
I personally would stay away from the open air filters, they may look cool but are not practical. First off they interfere with leg position and second you have to install an air filter sock if you get hit with rain. K&N makes a high flow cleanable air filter that fits in a stock air box. They are more expensive, but it is a one time purchase. Then every time you do an oil change every 5,000 miles just remove the air filter clean the filter with K&N filter cleaner let it dry then coat the filter element with K&N oil and while you have the filter element off open the throttle body butterfly and and clean the throttle body bore with throttle body cleaner to flush out the oil mist build up caused by the crank case breathers feeding the oil mist back into the intake.

Changing the air filter only will not give you more power. Harley air filters are not that restrictive, the air box is restrictive for EPA noise limits. Your ECM is made to feed the engine a 14.7:1 ratio of air/fuel. It will adjust to that ratio without any filter at all. You can change filters, pipes/mufflers, cams etc. all you want, but you will still have a 14:1 mix of fuel air going in. To get more power you need a programmable fuel controller. ALAS,,, recent govt. crackdowns have limited their effective range of tuning. I sure hope your bike does not have a carb. All the above relates to fuel injection only.

It is fuel injected.... For right now I'm gonna leave it stock, upgrade my exhaust, and get a tuner either FP3 or maybe the Power Vision 3, and later upgrade to K&N Air Filter

One of the best air filter upgrades is the forward facing HD Heavy Breather; has been proven over and over and over on the dyno. I have never had an issue with leg room interference and, like BWG says, it takes no time to slide the rain sock over the filter. The rain sock does impact performace but if caught in the rain, performance is the last thing I am thinking about and yeah, I have been caught in the rain.

The filter Bonez is/was considering would be an open air filter and I am betting a rain sock is available and that K&N offers a filter that will fit. A lot of the filters that come with "kits", like Trask, are made in China, restrictive and should be replaced with a K&N filter. I have seen the difference on the dyno. I would also be venting the crankcase breathers to the atmosphere and route the oil mist awasy from the combustion chamber.

Stage I is upgrading exhauts and intake to parts that are upgrades over OEM. Bonez has not mentioned an exhaust upgrade but maybe exhaust has already been upgrade. I don't see the value in tuning if exhaust and intake have not been upgraded. If other upgradeds, i.e., cams and head work are in the future don't bother with the FP3. Find a tuner that sells Power Vision licenses and get a proper dyno tune.:) JMHO.

Back