free website stats program Stage 1 kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 kit

I ride a 96 Road King that is completely stock. The only mod is the Python slip on mufflers. Would I gain anything by adding the Stage 1? What would be involved and what all would I need to purchase? Thanks in advance for your help.

I failed to mention that it is the FLHRI. Fuel Injected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Bit more power and torque. You will need a high-flow air cleaner and some sort of adjustment on fuel. The latter can be the download from HD (but that returns the ECU to the lean condition you started with) or a fueler of some sort. Check out the info in the self-help pages on fuelers.

EFI Tuner Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

KingoftheRoad doing a complete stage 1 you can usually expect to see a 8-10 hp gain over stock, more then with just mufflers, for sure. I have to disagree with TQ on HD downloads (but that returns the ECU to the lean condition you started with) the HD stage 1 download is built in Milwaukee by their engineering department to richen the fuel mixture to the right level for running the stage 1 on your Harley and if you have a problem, Harley is there standing behind it, where as if you install a TFI, your on your own, well the forum is very good at helping out, I've heard nothing but good on this forum about the TFI fueler and if you enjoy playing with tuning yourself it can be the way to go, but Harley made a fuler of their own in the past and I don't see it being offered anymore, maybe my staff patch is showing but if Harley stopped selling them it tells me there's a reason, and we all know how much Harley likes to make money by selling things, anythings. TQ you know I respect you and it troubles me a little having to disagreeing with you, but life sure would be boring if we all thought the same. KingoftheRoad I recommend doing the research and you decide what is best for you. I'm a old dog and set in my ways, but I'm not blind ether, I know my way is not "always" the only or best way.

Chop,

No problem. We do not all need to think identically, and I welcome all informed points of view which I have come to expect from you.

When I did my Stage 1, I got the HD Stage 1 download. This is before I had learned about the TFI. If I had it to do again, I would opt for the TFI only because it allows the user to richen up the fuel delivery AND is infinitely adjustable by the user should things change in the future. I would have spent about the same amount of money buying the TFI as I did buying the download. However, clearly the download is a MUCH simpler option especially for those folks that are still a bit timid about working on their bikes.

TQ

Hello,
Would like to install a Power Commander on a recently purchased a 2003 Heritage Springer.
The only mods that I can see are the K&N air filter and a set of Sampson fishtail duals with crossover pipe.

Previous owners (two) barely rode it, as it only has 1,900 mi.
The guy I bought it from has no idea what mods have been done to it.
I purchased it out of state and so did he, so it's not easy tracking down the records.

My question is: do I need to know if this has had a download to the ECM before I install the Power Commander or will the PC just bypass or over ride it?

For those interested, I had very good results with the Power Commander on my 2002 Heritage Classic. It just had the K&N air filter and V&H Bigshot Longs and I was getting between 48 & 52 MPG.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, I think the power commander maps do want to know if you're installing over a stock or stage map, any dealer can plug it in and tell you what cal you have in it, or maybe a power commander can read it now, I have not fooled with power commanders for years and I know they have advanced.

Take the bike out and get on the throttle. If the engine stalls at 5500 rpms, there's no download.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a stage 1 kit and k&n filter for my 08 ultra. Everything on the bike is stock. The dealer told me that I didn't need any ecm adjustments of any kind and that he had dynoed some bikes that were stock and they had gained 5-7 hp with no adjustments. Does this sound right to you? Do you think it will make my bike run hotter or leaner or both? Could this be so?

So now that you have something to think about as far as doing a fuel control, I can tell you for me that when I bought my 03 RKC I found that if I wanted to pass someone on the hiway I needed to be sure there was lots of room, as it was a slug on wheels, but then again I had been riding a 88 Vulcan 1500 and could pass a line of cars with no problem. After doing the stage 1 with Hooker torque tune slipons it really brought life to it, passing on a mountain pass was much easier, could only think that by doing more than a re-map would have made evan more of a difference. I did have the SE Pro Rase tuner added to my 08 Ultra and very pleased with it, fuel milage still 44 and consistant while 2 up and loaded.

Welcome to the forum davids, have a look around the forum and see what everyone says, but all you have to do is read the install instructions from harley that came with the air cleaner you had installed and that will answer you question. Sure the stock bikes will put out more when you free the breathing up, but they will also run leaner, and the EPA has Harleys running almost too lean already. It just makes sense to tune your bike for any engine upgrades, at lease put a fueler on it, your bike will run cooler & be happier.

Back