free website stats program Squeal in primary | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Squeal in primary

Chain moves side to side on compensating sprocket and clutch hub about 1/16" and get put a .022" feeler between links uniformly around length of chain. No high or sharp spots on sprockets.

Chain moves side to side on compensating sprocket and clutch hub about 1/16" and get put a .022" feeler between links uniformly around length of chain. No high or sharp spots on sprockets.

Sounds like a good chain, they are pretty stout, I would be looking at the Clutch hub and bearing next JMO

The key here might be when you said "no squel when not moving". My Road King did that. Turned out the two small locking bolts on main drive pulley had backed out and were rubbing on the back of the inner primary.
WAP.gif

Well you were right on with that brother. One of the fasteners came loose and the lock-washer was shattered... It was 7 years back when I had the locknut itself back off leaving me with plenty of spinning the main shaft and the drive pully sittin still. That led to a tranny rebuild and bearing and seal replacements all over.

Good news is everything from rotor and stator to clutch components and sprockets look just like they should, and the fix is cheaper than I could hope for.... But....

There is a lesson here. Twice I've had problems with the main pulley lockwasher after 35000 miles (almost exactly)... I can no longer trust my "eyeball the belt-drive alignment" procedure and am heading to the self-help section to make sure I get it right. And in about 30000 miles (vice 35000) I will be breaking it all down again for a look-see and change that locknut, lockwasher, and associated locking fasteners...

Thanks to you folks keeping me goin the right direction.

Back