free website stats program squeal in primary, '02 road king | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

squeal in primary, '02 road king

Here is a pictorial from when I did the roller chain conversion on my '03 UC. To check the tensioner shoes, follow this up to opening up the cam chest. The outer shoe is easy to see. The inner one will require getting a cheap dental mirror, a light and your eyeball behind the support plate to get a peek at the condition of the inner tensioner shoe. Easy to do though.

TQ's Engine Build

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

TQ, all I was able to see were the six pictures of the parts and tools.....

Try this link TC88 Cam Chain Tensioner Check - The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

Hopefully you can get it to open....I'm not much of a computer person. If you are new to HD's then you definately need to be aware of this problem. The TC88's are great motors but the spring loaded tensioners are a bit of an issue. The design of the tensioning system puts constant pressure on the shoe causing uneven wear. The shoes have been known to wear out between 20-40k. You DO NOT want one to fail on you! The TC96 motors solved the problem with a hydraulic system that utilizes oil pressure to apply the tension which significantly increases the life of the tensioner shoe.

If you cant get any of these links to open then what you need to do is simply remove the exhaust and the cam cover. Take a look at the tensioner...if it is more than half way gone it's time to get rid of it. There is also a second tensioner behind the cam plate. This one is more difficult to see but with a small mirror you can still get an idea of what's back there.

I posted this in the transmission section, but I think it will get answered here quicker.

I get a squeal (more of a "wha wha wha" sound) in the primary/clutch area when engine is cold, and engaged-moving forward. When I pull in the clutch, sound goes away, let it out, sound comes back. This only lasts for a couple minutes and then I donr hear it again until cold start the next morning.

It was 38 degrees here today and I put on 120 miles. Seems like when it warms up, sound goes completely away. No sound at idle, only when moving for a couple of blocks, then gone. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I have 38,000 miles on the king, no major work ever done, all original inside.

Cold, Have you checked the tension on the primary chain.. IF too loose or TIGHT it will make noise.. You need to take off the little side plate (carefully so you don't damage the gasket and wipe off ALL oil on gasket and primary case hole, then re use it)

IF you check the play up and down to see IF you have 1/2 or 3/4 inch is good, Check it several places around full circle..

IF adjustment is needed don't get carried away with loosening the 9/16 Nut on the adjuster... IF You DROP the adjuster it is a PROBLEM to get it back up.

The adjuster is like Two Straight Bastard Files,,, facing in opposite direction to fit and HOLD the adjustment...

A few Mistakes:small3d007: about moving this adjuster will MAKE YOU a Pro...:D

That is HOW I learned:newsmile017:

signed....BUBBIE

Cold, Have you checked the tension on the primary chain.. IF too loose or TIGHT it will make noise.. You need to take off the little side plate (carefully so you don't damage the gasket and wipe off ALL oil on gasket and primary case hole, then re use it)

IF you check the play up and down to see IF you have 1/2 or 3/4 inch is good, Check it several places around full circle..

IF adjustment is needed don't get carried away with loosening the 9/16 Nut on the adjuster... IF You DROP the adjuster it is a PROBLEM to get it back up.

The adjuster is like Two Straight Bastard Files,,, facing in opposite direction to fit and HOLD the adjustment...

A few Mistakes:small3d007: about moving this adjuster will MAKE YOU a Pro...:D

That is HOW I learned:newsmile017:

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie, I took that off and checked the shoe, but didn't put the time into checkling the chain. I will today. I took it out again a few hours ago and had same noise. If the primary chain is loose or tight, and makes one noise while on throttle, and when I let off, makes a higher pitched noise as the front dives on engine brake. Will driving it until it warms up make the noise go away? And when I pull in the clutch, sound disappears? So, if I got it right, under torque, either on gas or off the gas, with will whine until it warms up? Thanks for everyone's help, I've learned a ton already, picture were huge with the cam tensioners too, checking those tomorrow.
WAP.gif

Well I am new to the Harley world and I've been studing the the service manual as much as I can. I did get confused between the shoe and I didnt know what the cam tensioner was. I havent done anything on the right side of the motor.

So it sounds like I should check out the cam tensioner then..............I'll keep reading the manual :)

And the play I was talking about, was the PRIMARY CHAIN play. Thats why I'm on here, I want to learn...............

How To Adjust A Harley Davidson Motorcycle Primary Chain Here is a link to a video for primary chain adjustments

I posted this in the transmission section, but I think it will get answered here quicker.

I get a squeal (more of a "wha wha wha" sound) in the primary/clutch area when engine is cold, and engaged-moving forward. When I pull in the clutch, sound goes away, let it out, sound comes back. This only lasts for a couple minutes and then I donr hear it again until cold start the next morning.

It was 38 degrees here today and I put on 120 miles. Seems like when it warms up, sound goes completely away. No sound at idle, only when moving for a couple of blocks, then gone. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I have 38,000 miles on the king, no major work ever done, all original inside.

While with the milage you have on the bike, checking the cam chain tensioners is a good idea, I don't think that is the source of your noise. You mention noise goes away when your not moving. So a question I have not seen asked is does the noise increase with the speed of the engine or with the speed of the bike?? When you shift from 1st to 2nd, does the noise continue its rise with the speed of the bike or follow enging speed??
Locating a noise like this can be difficult. I have a 2001 RK. Had a noise that followed bike speed. While on the bike, I would have sworn it was coming from the front wheel area. Had a guy walk next to me as I was taking off, he swore noise was coming from rear wheel. I pulled the rear wheel and found nothing wrong with rear wheel bearing. I grabbed the drive belt and rotated. I found the 2 small bolts that hold the locking plate around the nut on the main drive sproket had backed out and were rubbing on the back side of the primary! So noise was really coming from the middle of the bike!! Noise did come and go as the position of the sproket changed.
So if noise rises and falls with the speed of the bike, I would be looking in the area of the belt and sprokets as others have suggested. JMHO. Good luck!

That is exactly what happens. Gets louder as I go faster, and if I pull in the clutch, the sound does go away, let it out, comes back. Weird thing is it goes away after idling a few blocks. Did yours do that too? Well one thing that is nice is that I'm really getting to know the ins and outs of my road king, and my service manual. I will check those today
WAP.gif

That is exactly what happens. Gets louder as I go faster, and if I pull in the clutch, the sound does go away, let it out, comes back. Weird thing is it goes away after idling a few blocks. Did yours do that too? Well one thing that is nice is that I'm really getting to know the ins and outs of my road king, and my service manual. I will check those today
WAP.gif

I should add that I was out on a two hour ride and ever heard the sound again, until the next morning when it was cold and just starting out. When I pull in and let out the clutch rapidly, the sound follows. Pull in goes away, let out, comes back. Then after less than a mile of riding, gone till next morning. Wouldn't think it was something with the drive belt, sounds more like clutch to me, but I am gonna check those screws.
WAP.gif

Did you have the derby cover off ? or did you take the small inspection cover off to LOOK at the primary chain... While there did you just LIFT the chain up and down to see How Loose OR Tight it was.... 1/2 to 3/4 is great... OVER 1 inch of movement IS too much,,, remember, checked COLD.

That is all I needed to hear about the primary chain.

Did we ever ask what OIL you use in the primary and is it Filled to the bottom of the clutch ring while Bike is straight up off the kickstand?

Just trying to help here:bigsmiley25:

signed....BUBBIE

Back