free website stats program squeaky rear brake | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

squeaky rear brake

How about the front brake. My '05 Ultra has been making a noise for about 20k miles. I only hear it when I use it. The dealer told me it was normal. Should I use different brand pads or a grease on the back of the pad (like on a car) when I put new on?

Harley had all kinds of "fixes", start with simplist..."Glazed linings", if you can see shiny areas on your pads when you remove them (Do Glider's EZ Brake Caliper service listed in the service tips" to find out how, then start with step 1...

1) With medium sandpaper and on a flat surface in a circular motion, remove the shiny wear pattern till the entire surfaced flat but roughend up. Rinse with clear water and air dry. Coat the backing plate for the pads with thin layer of noise suppressing Permatex/Copper paste, you will have to push the caliper pistons in their bores to accomodate the additional thickness when you reassemble, bleed the brakes and road test.

2) Replace the pads with new ones if worn within 1/16" of the backing plate or of the "debris groove" in the center is missing (worn to the max safety depth).

3) If problem returns, there was a Service Bulletin on those bikes with dual discs, that you might "swap" the left and right sides. Since the wear patterns are different, my guess is they are thinking the resonance vibration/pattern will wear in and seat the pads differently, also stopping the resonance/vibration sound.

On the front I'd check the fork alignment. If the forks are not on the axel is in the forks correctly it will cause brake squeel.

As for the rear I haven't run accros this one yet. I try cleaning them first, look for any signs of oil could explain the squeak as well as other issues.

I too have a 08 Road King that had your same problem. Dealer had a TSB from HD that placed a rubber type backing on the rear pads that fixed the problem. My noise started at 1000 miles and was repaired soon after that, just turned 10,000 miles and still quite.

My Girl's 05 Road King Custom squeeled badly in the front, brand new from the shop. I had it back to them several times and they'd blow the dust out, the noise would go away for 50 or 60 miles and then they'd squeel again. Someone told me to change the front rotors left to right and the noise would go away. I asked my Harley shop if that would be ok and they said it shouldn't hurt anything. I did it and they work fine, with no more squeel.....don't know why and am not suggesting this for you, just a little factoid. Seems like some of the bikes with custom wheels have simular problems.

you will have to push the caliper pistons in their bores to accomodate the additional thickness when you reassemble

just for my information, why will there be "additional thickness" in the first step? It seemed to me that this is where you are only scuffing the old pads. Maybe I missed something.

just for my information, why will there be "additional thickness" in the first step? It seemed to me that this is where you are only scuffing the old pads. Maybe I missed something.

Usually when you pull the pads out they are a close fit...by the time you do all the light sanding and put a thin layer of that Brake compound on the backing plates/shims, getting both pads back up there with the rotor "exactly aligned" as they came out is tricky...I just go ahead and clean the exposed piston area (use Glider's shoe string method) and push the pistons back in the bores maybe 1/16 inch is all the room you should need. Just makes assembly and life easier. :D Easy is good!

that makes sense...I envisioned pushing them all the way back the first time I read that. Now I see that it only has to be a little bit. Thank you for clearing that up.

I had the same problem with the back brakes & I replaced them with HD rear brake pads & the pads came with a copper disk brake lube which seemed to take care of the problem for awhile but the noise did return , I went to the auto parts store and got a can of disk brake lube & used that and it seems to work & last great & if the brakes start to make noise again ( which they have not ) I will pull the pads & slop on some more lube . A can of lube was around $10 if I remember right .

The brake noise is caused by a very hi pitched vibration. Same as car and truck brake squeal. The fix is to get a small bottle of Anti-squeal from car quest or napa and remove the pads. Every place on the pads that appear shinny, thats where you apply a small amount of the anti squeak. Just paint it on with a small brush. Reassemble and no more squeak.
ALSO when my King does it, i hit the brakes real hard and it goes away for a month or so.
USE HARLEY BRAKE COMPONENTS ONLY
RKJohn

Last edited:
Back