free website stats program springer wiring | Harley Davidson Forums

springer wiring

Adrian

Hello All,
I ride a 96 Springer softail, I have owned the bike since 2000, I bought it in the USA it had 600 miles on the clock. Great buy ! I love the bike. BUT, the speedo broke, I bought a replacement from the USA part number ; 67027-96C, I connected all the new connectors, she fires up, but I have no dash lights and the speedo does not work, ( typical ). When I took the connectors apart to investigate a couple of the contact were touching each other, ( stuff it ) I corrected them. Aarrggh ! any brainy people out there ? Am I missing something. ( a brain ? )
Great to be a member of a decent forum.
Ad

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually the best place to look is the last placed you worked on and I think you will find the problem there. You should look at the fuses and the connectors you had apart and then try to figure out if you are missing the 12+ or possibly the ground which will give you the same results with no power or lights.Most often this step is overlooked and the 12+ is blamed for not working.
Furnish a new ground with a piece of wire from the neg of the battery and touch it to the speedo to check for the ground. See if the lights light then and if not ,then you have to go point by point to find where you are loosing the power with a tesat light and your manual that has the wiring diagrams in it.. Have you checked the speedo sensor on the transmission yet? See if is covered with fuzz which it probably is. You can clean it but most times it needs to be replaced at about $52.

Speed Sensor Pickup Problem Symptoms - Harley Davidson Community

Hi Glider,
I will check it out, I don't have a manual (yet), so when I find the fuse box I will investigate further. I will try the ground 12+ idea, it sounds good to me. I know for the FXWG you need to cut some wires out. Mmmmm. I will have a go tomorrow. Too rotten cold now. I ride the bike all year so miss it in this good weather. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your help Glider, I will keep you up to date, although I feel I will have to run it to the shop and let the experts have a go. Trouble is over here (UK), they wanted £500. to put in a new speedo. That's nearly a 1000 bucks. Rip off or what ? More later.

Many thanks for your help Glider, I will keep you up to date, although I feel I will have to run it to the shop and let the experts have a go. Trouble is over here (UK), they wanted £500. to put in a new speedo. That's nearly a 1000 bucks. Rip off or what ? More later.

Definitely a rip off. The list price on that unit is $311

If you changed the speedo and it still doesn't work, more than likely it's the wiring if it's an electrical one.

Hi Glider,
Didn't do it today, too flippin cold, didn't get above
2c. I did try to start it but no joy, battery flat. Like everything, ok until it goes wrong. I rebuilt a Yam xs650, it was easy because it was mechanical, when it comes to electrics I am finished. Do you have all year riding weather ?

Regards
Adrian

We ride most of the year but starting in December or so through March, the riding days aren't as much as the rest of the year due to temps too low and snow/salt on the roads.

Back