free website stats program spring oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

spring oil change

09 deluxe

My bike has been sitting in the garage now for months, over the winter.
I wanted to change the oil before I start riding, to put synthetic in it.
I talked to one guy that told me he just pulls the drain plug and lets it sit for a few days, to let it all drain out, rather than the traditional "warm up" to encourage the oil to flow out more quickly, for a "right now" oil change.

Is this a better way to do it in the spring, when the bike has been sitting for months not being used?

Thanks all

not to me warm or hot oil flows best particles suspended in oil. u can let sit & drain long as u want then. but u mite forget & start up & take off. change oil & filter put plug back refill. then your ready personily i ride ever day allmost i mite forget im draining oil. OUCH............

not me warm oil holds the crude in it and flows better.. take it out for a 20-30 min ride come back and drain it

I think a cold oil change is almost a waste of time. Got to warm up the oil to get all the crude and contaminates out IMHO.

Ive got a 20 mile round trip i use to get the oil nice and warm prior to dropping the oil
just stay away from the front header pipe when pulling the oil filter or the smell of burning flesh might upset your day

Brian

Back