free website stats program sporty won't start need advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

sporty won't start need advice

do as tourbox said just get a jumper wire from + side of a good battery to the starter solenoid and that will tell you if the starter or the switches relay or wire are the problem

If you have battery voltage @ main lug on starter, try jumping the solenoid with ignition on bike in nuetral

You need to ck. for V dc with button pushed on pin 85. You should also have 12 V dc on pin 30 all the time when Key switch is on. You can take a jumper from the + side of battery directly to the starter solenoid, this will eliminate your relay, just to see if it will turn over.
tourbox
I'm getting 12 v DC at the 86 post all the time no matter if start button is pushed. Not getting anything when I go from batt pos to solenoid

If you have battery voltage @ main lug on starter, try jumping the solenoid with ignition on bike in nuetral
I have tried that and I'm getting nothin

You need to ck. for V dc with button pushed on pin 85. You should also have 12 V dc on pin 30 all the time when Key switch is on. You can take a jumper from the + side of battery directly to the starter solenoid, this will eliminate your relay, just to see if it will turn over.
tourbox
I found a bad ground I'm getting the starter to pop out but not turn over

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried tapping on starter for maybe it is on a bad spot internally.

Sounds like a bad drive, may be time to replace or rebuild starter and solenoid

Ok. Finally found the bad ground. Now my front cylinder is locked up. The guy who worked on it before I started at this shop left the front covers off and just covered it with plastic before he quit. Its been out in the weather and it's been rainy here. I haven't pulled that cylinder yet but I'm sure that it got moisture in it and rusted. Yay

If only front cylinder locked up how did you verify starter operation? And if you believed it is rusted why not spray some type of lube into plug hole let sit and see if engine will then turn over. It seems some pertinent information is missing. Why was bike at shop in first place.

Sounds like a bad drive, may be time to replace or rebuild starter and solenoid
Found th
Ok. Finally found the bad ground. Now my front cylinder is locked up. The guy who worked on it before I started at this shop left the front covers off and just covered it with plastic before he quit. Its been out in the weather and it's been rainy here. I haven't pulled that cylinder yet but I'm sure that it got moisture in it and rusted. Yay
I really want to thank everyone for the advise. Glad there is a place like this.

If only front cylinder locked up how did you verify starter operation? And if you believed it is rusted why not spray some type of lube into plug hole let sit and see if engine will then turn over. It seems some pertinent information is missing. Why was bike at shop in first place.
Did put something in the cylinders. Apparently it didn't work. I took the starter out and bench tested it. But that I found the bad ground. Now starter pops out but wont turn engine. Can't physically turn the engine over either, it make the clutch slip. And its gotva good clutch in it.

Did put something in the cylinders. Apparently it didn't work. I took the starter out and bench tested it. But that I found the bad ground. Now starter pops out but wont turn engine. Can't physically turn the engine over either, it make the clutch slip. And its gotva good clutch in it.
And its a consignment shop and the bike was bought for a very low price in the bad shape it was in. The guy that worked on it before me was a tweeker and made things worse. That how I got to the cylinder being locked up due to rust. I took the back cylinder off today and ran outta time. Only have so much time per day to work on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you turn the motor over be sure to watch the rear piston when it is going down. It could lodge in the spigot, hole on the engine case. You can use a 2x4 to tap on the stuck cylinder to try and get it to move. Keep us posted.
tourbox

Back