free website stats program Sporty Eating Batteries | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporty Eating Batteries

trickydoc

Got an 07 and it has started eating batteries. put a new on and it lasted 2 days. when setting it will drain a bettery in about 36 hours. just got this bike and don't know if any thing was done to the elec. system. prev-owner said no. found one of those brake light thingys and removed it. so don't know about anything else, can't find anything. I am in the process of pulling one fuse at a time and checking for a volt drop. got the ecm umpluged now so far no drop, thought that would be it. anyone had a problem like this?

didn't put in other post we have already done most of the checking, charging system 14.6.

Verify that you have done the "bleed-back" test (#2). When batteries start discharging in a short period of time, it is often the VR

You say above that you are getting 14.6? Is this Vdc at the battery with the engine running? If so, what rpm? This is getting close to the maximum output you should be seeing from the VR. If the 14.6 is at idle, does it go higher when you increase the rpm? Another indication that a VR is bad is too much Vdc output.

TQ

Had this happen to my 08 sporty.
With key off listen behind air cleaner
for IAC engaging with key off.
System relay was coroied and feeding IAC.
With key off killed battery overnight.

I had a faulty alarm system that drained flat the battery, if i did not use the bike for a few days. What is current draw on the battery if the key out?

My bubby, an MMI grad, did the volt test on the VR. I think he said that 14.6 was max at RPM. We have listened and can't hear anything trip, click or anything. since we have unpluged the ECM the volts are holding close. we have only lost .03 volts overnight. I think we are givving up and going to the stealership and put it on the computer. need to be ridding and we aren't getting any closer. pulling all the fuses and checking every curcit overnight will just take too long. my other scoot is cripple also. front wheel bearings out. waiting on bearing pulling tool to get here to fix the poor old "Rainmaker".
I kinda hope its the ECM on "Sporty", then just plug and ride. then waiting on the tool will not be as hard. thanks to all who helped.

Wow, your the 1st person on this Forum to ever HOPE it was the ECM. Most people fear that cost.:p

Good luck on your repair.

this is the part we are checking now and I could be back in business Monday with a replacement. otherwise keep hunting and not ridding.

I will tell you one thing. I would REALLY be surprised if it was the ECM.

Not saying it CAN'T be. Just saying it would have to be a 2% chance. I could see it being a ton of things before an ECM.

Back