free website stats program Sportster question | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster question

Ken S.

I'm replacing my air filter and changing the oil, and tranny fluid, but, my question is this.

The air filter has a really strong smell of fuel? The engine oil also smells a little like fuel?

Can anyone offer any insight as to what this might mean, if anything?

Yeah, since the airfilter was original from the factory I bet it isn't getting enough air.

I'm going to change all fluids and AC and watch it for a while.

ac 002.jpg

ac 001.jpg

ac 003.jpg

See the date code on the airfilter is the original from 1996, I think it is due for a changeout...and yes as Smitty says, you probably are fine with just putting some Chemtool (1/2 to full can) as I am not familiar with Seafoam, but that is just me...! Keep an eye on the new air cleaner, and see if after a month it is still pretty clean, if it smells like gas, you might be running rich or at one time or another ran a little high in oil level along with burping oil/gas from the overflow/breather hose.

Based on this post, at least I know I'm not running lean, which I was worried about after, rejetting, get a reduced gas mileage, as well the order of gas is more prominent after putting in 45/170 jets. Keeping in mind the stock was 175, would swapping in a 165 be too lean? 06' 883, V&H slip-ons, SE air flow.

Based on this post, at least I know I'm not running lean, which I was worried about after, rejetting, get a reduced gas mileage, as well the order of gas is more prominent after putting in 45/170 jets. Keeping in mind the stock was 175, would swapping in a 165 be too lean? 06' 883, V&H slip-ons, SE air flow.

There's no way of telling if it's too lean by guessing. Either a dyno run or try this...

Quick and easy way of testing the main jet size.

Run the bike through the gears into third gear and run third up to 60-70 MPH full throttle, then chop the throttle about 1/8 to 1/4 back and see if the bike either surges ahead or stumbles then recovers.

If it surges ahead, your jetting is lean
If it stumbles and recovers , your jetting is rich
If it makes no difference, you're pretty close.

There's no way of telling if it's too lean by guessing. Either a dyno run or try this...

Quick and easy way of testing the main jet size.

Run the bike through the gears into third gear and run third up to 60-70 MPH full throttle, then chop the throttle about 1/8 to 1/4 back and see if the bike either surges ahead or stumbles then recovers.

If it surges ahead, your jetting is lean
If it stumbles and recovers , your jetting is rich
If it makes no difference, you're pretty close.

Hey Glider, I read this from you in another post, and I was trying it out, but because I'm not used to it, and no tach, I'm a little gun shy, in 3rd gear and about 50, the motor really gets revving, and I'm afraid to go faster in third and instinctively always want to shift.

Hey Glider, I read this from you in another post, and I was trying it out, but because I'm not used to it, and no tach, I'm a little gun shy, in 3rd gear and about 50, the motor really gets revving, and I'm afraid to go faster in third and instinctively always want to shift.

If you want to pay air fare, I'll come and try it out for you. :D

Last edited:
Absolutely.

Wife and I took the Heritage out for about 60 miles today, then I took my 1200R for its first run of the year. Its like riding a crotch rocket compared to the STC.

They'll definitely scoot!

Back