free website stats program Sportser service | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportser service

mo1200

Account Removed
I just got my Sportster 1200C. Thank you, Thank you very much. My question is this. The HD manual and most of what I've read states 1st service at 1000 mi then every 5000 mi after that. The dealer I got my bike from told me 1st at 500 mi, 2nd at 1500 mi and then every 2500 after that. Now I want to take care of my bike, but this seems a bit removed from what Ive read so far. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Well, that's what I was going to do, break in around 700-800 then every 2500, I also intend on doing the oil changes myself.

I do all mine at 100/1000/2500 thereafter. Its good to clean out the manufacturing slag in the engine.

I read in American Iron in an in depth oil article that it's a good idea to put non synthetic oil in during break in. The reasoning is that the non synthetic will allow parts to properly break in, while a full synthetic may actually provide too much lubrication to properly break in parts. The idea made sense to me, but I'm not an expert. Maybe some more experienced people have heard of this or can provide comments?

hi guys ..just asking if the mobil 1 v twin oil is suitable for use in a 2009 883 sportsters primary / gear ...i know there is a poll on the type of oil to use ..but not to much info on the sportster oil's..

Syn being too slippery for break in and for wet clutches etc is a complete myth.

Run the oil that you like, in aircooled engines strongly recommend strait synthetic. Mobile 1, amsoil etc. I use Amsoil in the engine.

Back