free website stats program Sporster "wiggle". | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporster "wiggle".

Stovebolt

I'm not what you would call an "aggressive" rider, at least I don't think I am but I've noticed that when I push my 1200C in nice high speed (70-80+) sweeper turns it gets a little unsettled. It is, of course, the worst when there are little bumps or "ripples" in the road surface but if you need to make a mid-turn adjustment it tends to worsen things. It's nothing that's gonna make me wreck or anything it just causes a little undo stress at times and I can't just settle in and enjoy the lean like I like to. I've never noticed this on other bikes I've owned and was wondering if it is possible that I've reached the limits of my bike so easily. I'm hoping that it is just the lame factory suspension and if that's the case no problem, I'll just do the appropriate mods. when finances allow. I already have the spring preload adjusted to the max.. Anyone else notice this with their C model? And what mods. have any of you made? Please give product names and sources. I should add that I'm a bit fat for a Sportster (240lbs.:54:) and I'm sure that is exasperating the condition as well. Thanx.:)

can't offer you much insight other than if you're fat at 240 on a sporty, I must be considered morbidly obese at 270... :p

I have noticed this as well. I have a 07 Nightster with Progressive springs up front and Progressive shocks.

I suspect that the issue is triple tree related and that somehow my steering head bearings may be out of adjustment. I intend to check this and if this is not the case, I will then think about adding a steering damper.

Jake

My 04 883 did this when I first bought it. I asked a bro of mine who used to race if he could offer any insight. He told me to change the fork oil to a heavier viscosity used for racing. This did the trick for me. As for being "big" I am 300 pounds and my sporty rides just fine after I changed the fork oil.:D

First thing is to vary the air pressure (especially the front) and check the tread wear, is it even center to edge, or flattened due to lots of straight up riding and little cornering. A worn front tire means there is less friction losses due to the tread pattern contact patch enlarges when cornering, so more motion must be absorbed by your hands and arms which you feel as "wobble".

Is your suspension settings and hardware "stock" and do you have a fork mounted fairing or added a tool bag or accessory loading the fork additionally? Might also turn the forks lock to lock and bouncing it firmly with the brakes applied to see if anything is loose and slight resistance "fall away" indicating steering bearings have proper "preload" (no play) to introduce additional friction losses.

Finally do the fork spring, fork oil change, Hobbit is probably right on this one, given the age of your machine (it is probably due for fork oil change to be sure). Might also want to add a fork brace, and replace steering bearing with higher performance ones while you are at it.

Last edited:
Yeah - my '06 1200 C is a little wobbly at high speeds some times on the freeway..mostly on curves... although it became significantly better when I switched from a 21" wheel to a 19" wheel on the front. The fatter tire treads much better. Now it only has that wobble on higher freeway speeds when it's a long-wide turn on the freeway. Slower & tight turns feel really great now with the smaller tire. I also switched to progressive shocks (as "hobbit" stated in his response to you) and I like them.

Re: Sportster "wiggle".

Although my Sportster is a little older than yours and I'm not as heavy as you i have found that altering the tyre pressure can make a fair bit of difference to the handling characteristics
and have found that 37 to 38 psi both front and rear seem to be the best for good stable handling
however that does assume that the forks have correct quantities of oil the rear shocks are adjusted to the same posn and that steering head and swing arm bearings are good and correctly adjusted
all nuts bolts etc on suspension system frame and axles are correctly torqued

Brian

Re: Sportster "wiggle".

Have you checked that the wheel is true (riding over a pothole can damage a 21" wheel) and well balanced?

Thanks everyone. Looks like I got some things to check and consider. And I forgot to mention that I have a tall HD clip-on windshield. That may have something to do with it I guess.:s

Back