free website stats program Spitting Oil | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spitting Oil

Hoople

The misalignment will cause a GLUT of oil to remain in the sump area of the crank. causing all kinds of problems 1 being oil in the air breather, banjo bolt holes spewing the foam out that is whipped-up by the crank.

Also a big drop in performance because of the crank running (swimming) in TO Much oil...

I believe that the big problem here is the CRANK-RUNOUT and misalignment a escape goat.

Just my thoughts.

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, Can you explain the crank runout comment; not sure I understand what you mean.

On the full line. Just had the 1,000 mile check-up done and changed the fluids and filter. It was spitting oil before and after.

Just checking, but was this done with an engine that was ridden prior? Or was it cold?

If it was cold, then you've overfilled the oil, best practice is to leave 2 to 2.5 "Squares" free if you are checking the oil level on a cold engine.

Take care,

Whoops, should have read the full post first before replying..

Glad you found the problem!

Last edited:
+1 on that. I read half-quart low when cold. I had the same thing happen and found that that 1/2qt low was the answer.---jack :13:

Sorry, should have been more specific. I am not sure why Bubbie thinks crank shaft runout is the actual problem and the oil pump alignment is being used as a scape goat.

No engine vibration, power loss, etc., and the engine spit oil from almost day one.

Sorry, should have been more specific. I am not sure why Bubbie thinks crank shaft runout is the actual problem and the oil pump alignment is being used as a scape goat.

No engine vibration, power loss, etc., and the engine spit oil from almost day one.

Crank runout can eat up the oil pump and a mis aligned oil pump can cause the oil to be pushed out the vents in the air filter.

Just my theory,, If crank is way out 12 thousands or more. It pushes the pump into Miss-alignment... The pump either Gives or it breaks.

0.12 + is a lot of pressure against the oil pump gear to crank

I should of asked IF alignment was checked and how far out was the crank.

I just have a little "Heat" toward Hd quality OR lack of it on the crank issues on the new bikes, 07 and up as I own one!

Thank Glider for your responses...

signed....BUBBIE

Just my theory,, If crank is way out 12 thousands or more. It pushes the pump into Miss-alignment... The pump either Gives or it breaks.

0.12 + is a lot of pressure against the oil pump gear to crank

I should of asked IF alignment was checked and how far out was the crank.

I just have a little "Heat" toward Hd quality OR lack of it on the crank issues on the new bikes, 07 and up as I own one!

Thank Glider for your responses...

signed....BUBBIE

Not sure; I will have to ask and keep an eye on the oil issue so if it pops up again or I have pump issues I will know where to start looking.

Thanks for the info.

is this crank runout something you think should be checked out, for peace of minds sake? I'm so new to the Harley line (2008 Ultra) with these unbalanced engines I got all kinds of shakes and vibrations that I wouldn't know if it something was abnormal or not in regards to a crank issue - thanks

is this crank runout something you think should be checked out, for peace of minds sake? I'm so new to the Harley line (2008 Ultra) with these unbalanced engines I got all kinds of shakes and vibrations that I wouldn't know if it something was abnormal or not in regards to a crank issue - thanks

I think that I'm going to wait until I'm ready to change out Cams on my 09 FLHR.
Probably go for a little more GRUNT and at that time I would do a dial indicator while apart at the crank in bike.... THEN what do i do if it is WAY OUT?
HD Raised the tolerance value on crank run-out to a ridiculous number I can't even think is OK. saying 0.012 Whoa, I say, that is Way TOO MUCH.

My bike runs smooth as a , OH well, as a harley! and It feels nothing out of sorts with any of my older bikes i've owned over the years.

If Yours has no extreme vibration I would ride and enjoy it UNTIl something is necessary to get done inside the cam chest like I plan to do... Then check it.

Kinda like Smitty 901 would say "RIDE IT".

The question is still "What Then" if crank is out Some? Depends on how much out on my bike.

Well, for now, it runs good and I'm going to ride it and not loose any sleep over it!

signed....BUBBIE

Were would you see spitting oil ?,would it be obvious,i mean what parts of engine would you see oil on,im a novice and curious,thanks

Back