free website stats program speedometer swap | Harley Davidson Forums

speedometer swap

nascar7613

speedo problemns

I am swapping a electronic speedometer on a 97 fatboy. The current speedo has different electrical connections then the replacment has. I bought a kit from harley to change the connectors, but I don't know how to arrange the wires in the new connector. I haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram of the connector. Any ideas?

Thanks for the manual. Let me ask you this. Sometimes the odometer will come on. When the odometer works, the speedometer works, and vice versa. I replaced the vss and have the same problem. I assumed the speedo head was probably bad. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
What year was the new speedo from? Hope it isn't a 04 and newer one. If it was a late model, it will be difficult to use it.

Here's a manual for a late model softail.

Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
Re: speedo problemns

Thanks for the manual. Let me ask you this. Sometimes the odometer will come on. When the odometer works, the speedometer works, and vice versa. I replaced the vss and have the same problem. I assumed the speedo head was probably bad. What do you think?

Could be a bad speedo or a wiring problem , possibly a ground problem, hard to say here. You didn't say what year the new speedo was from.

Re: speedo problemns

I don't know what year the new speedo came from. It has a receptacle for the harness plug built into it that houses all the wiring going into the speedometer head. The old speedo has a exposed wiring connecting to posts on the back of the speedo head and going inside the head. It also has a separate harness coming out of the head that goes to the vss. I bought a kit from Harley that you can cut the wires from the old head and put pins on them then install them in the connector that fits the new head. If I knew which wire went in which socket in the connector I'd be fine, but the sockets do not have any numbers on them. I wonder if there is a diagram of the plug itself?

Anything else on it? I can't reference anything using those numbers. Usually a part number has a dash in it followed by usually two digits, see anything that looks like that, looks like this 67288-93T

Back