free website stats program Speedometer stopped working. | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedometer stopped working.

Roadking-1960

Yesterday my speedometer stopped working!. (Fatbob 103 ABS 2015).
It still measures distance, so assume that the VSS sensor still works.
When I perform the procedure to read error codes, the needle does not move, but I do get to the "diagnostics menu".
Hear a rattling sound, in the counter, stops at some point!
This does not give an error code !!.
Who has already experienced this, and knows the solution!?
Regards TIA

I have replaced the gauge motors in automotive instrument clusters when they stop working.
Might be a similar situation going on with your cluster.
Here in my little town we have a business called "On Site Dash Repair".
You could see if a local service can test the driver motor and replace it if needed.

Yesterday my speedometer stopped working!. (Fatbob 103 ABS 2015).
It still measures distance, so assume that the VSS sensor still works.
When I perform the procedure to read error codes, the needle does not move, but I do get to the "diagnostics menu".
Hear a rattling sound, in the counter, stops at some point!
This does not give an error code !!.
Who has already experienced this, and knows the solution!?
Regards TIA
Do you solve this problem? I'm really frustrated with my speedometer. It's non-functional. I inspected the wiring connecting the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) to the speedometer and something like that. But there is no result.

Have you pulled the VSS out and inspected it. Sometimes they are covered in metal shavings. You can clean and replace, sometimes that will work for a short period. Buy you some time, then it will need replaced in the future.

Do you have current coming to the VSS? Do you have a signal generator? Do you understand sinusoidal and square wave signals?

It's usually a good idea have a good understanding the difference between sensors and how they function.
For instance, is it a Hall effect sensor? How is it set up on your bike?

More ideas:

As previously mentioned, I'd pull the speed sensor, see if it has metal shavings. While it's out leave it connected to circuit. If it has a ground wire you can simply wave a screw driver back and forth close to sensor while back probing. You should see voltage change as you go faster and slower. The sensor may use case as it's ground source. I don't know how yours is set up.
You can use a signal generator to send a signal from connector up to speedometer to test that.

Back