free website stats program speedometer quit | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

speedometer quit

thanks to all responders. I can always count on some good tips and suggestions here.
I did read in the manual about the speed sensor located on the top of the tranny. It is held in place by an allenhead capscrew -- do I remove that to see if cleaning it will help?
IF my actual speedometer went bad, what do I need to replace or fix on it? If it is bad, do I need an entire new speedometer? hummm another note here - the speedometer always worked fine - the needle did not even flicker or bounce - one day I cranked it to ride and the needle just sat on zero and didnt move.

Bill

Hey guys, I have a similar but more compounded problem. I acquired a 2005 FXSTI with super low mileage(400 miles) last year and it now has 2500 miles. Two months ago things started going a little haywire. Here is the problem- the speedo does not work, the odometer displays but does not increase in mileage, signals do not auto cancel and once the engine is warm, it will stall out in idle. Once it stalls, it can be immediately re-started with the ignition. Prior to these problems I had changed the battery, no other maintenance or events. Things I've done- checked battery connection, cables and wire harnesses for damage, cleaned computer contacts and removed the speedo. The bike seems to act up less after removal of speedo but still eventually cuts out. At first, I thought it must be the speedo after reading forums and the fact that the signals won't auto cancel, but it seems something more in-depth? Electrical gremlins???

Bill I had a similar problem with my 03fatty with an aftermarket speedo w/tach, I checked the pickup in the tranny and it was clean. I reinstalled the oem speedo and it worked fine.

I did read in the manual about the speed sensor located on the top of the tranny. It is held in place by an allenhead capscrew -- do I remove that to see if cleaning it will help?

Here is some good reading. See if all codes are "CLr". I would manually check the voltage across the battery while running at 2500 RPM. Higher than normal voltage can hang up the works.

Attachments

• Speedo.pdf
    583.9 KB · Views: 47
OK guys, I removed the VSS and cleaned it (wiped it off with rag) and reinstalled it. went for a test ride - the speedometer now does move but indicating the wrong MPH - going 20 it shows 70 and going 50 it shows 30 and going 40 it shows 150+ pegged out needle. all totally random readings on the speedometer. The needle would actually move while riding - up and down slowly. Very irratic so say the least.
My turn signals DID self cancel properly and the Odometer is working fine registering the miles as I ride - seemed to be acurate. I think perhaps I will need to install a NEW speedometer - what say you all? Maybe a new VSS and a new speedometer?

Bill

Here is some good reading. See if all codes are "CLr". I would manually check the voltage across the battery while running at 2500 RPM. Higher than normal voltage can hang up the works.

Hoople, thanks for that link. I dont think it helped me too much on finding the problem and fixing it - BUT - it did tell me in pretty easy terms of how to do the diagnostics on the speedometer. Thanks!!! Now, if all other diagnostics were as simple I'd be set up good. See my latest post - I think I need a new speedometer.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
OK guys, I removed the VSS and cleaned it (wiped it off with rag) and reinstalled it. went for a test ride - the speedometer now does move but indicating the wrong MPH - going 20 it shows 70 and going 50 it shows 30 and going 40 it shows 150+ pegged out needle. all totally random readings on the speedometer. The needle would actually move while riding - up and down slowly. Very irratic so say the least.
My turn signals DID self cancel properly and the Odometer is working fine registering the miles as I ride - seemed to be acurate. I think perhaps I will need to install a NEW speedometer - what say you all? Maybe a new VSS and a new speedometer?

Bill

Bill, I had a 2000 dyna do the same thing, after cleaning the sensor 2 times I replaced it:D

Bill, I had a 2000 dyna do the same thing, after cleaning the sensor 2 times I replaced it:D

Thanks Jack - after cleaning the sensor - it still does not work. So, I may need to buy a new one and try it - and if it still doesn't work properly, then a new speedometer would be next.

Bill

the Odometer is working fine registering the miles as I ride - seemed to be acurate.

Ride on the highway for several miles just to see if your traveled distance is in step with your odometer. A 1/4 mile sample is not enough. If mile markers on the highway track in sync with your odometer, I would say the speedo has a problem.
All the diags showed CLr.

Ride on the highway for several miles just to see if your traveled distance is in step with your odometer. A 1/4 mile sample is not enough. If mile markers on the highway track in sync with your odometer, I would say the speedo has a problem.
All the diags showed CLr.

Thanks again Hoople - Saturday nite we put about 40 miles on it - odometer seemed to be correct - but, I will check it against a known mileage distance to be certain. I wish it would be the VSS -- speedometers at HD are running about $300.00 The VSS shouldn't be that much.

Bill

Back