free website stats program Speedometer gone wild | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedometer gone wild

Dont know how new you are to this bike but, on my 03RK if you turn on the ignition switch and then the kill switch and you dont wait for the lights on the speedo to go out before you start it. The speedo will be off considerably as you mention. It seems the speedo calibrates to the speed sensor kinda like booting your computer. If you start it before this is complete it don't do good.

Ask me how I know!:tounge

Bodeen

Hey Bodeen, I just read your post and I've done the same thing. Turned the ignition on and didnt wait for the lights to go out and started the bike. Thats when I noticed that my speedo quit working. Question is do you know how to fix the problem???? Any advice is greatly appreciated....

I've seen a post earlier that if you start the bike before lights go out on speedometer could affect the speedo causing it to not work. I did that yesterday when leaving the store and now speedo is inop. Everything works fine on the instrument panel except speedo. Pulled the sensor out and had very little to no shavings on it, cleaned it and still inop. Is there anyway to solve this problem or do I have to replace the sensor because of being in a hurry to leave....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Bodeen, I just read your post and I've done the same thing. Turned the ignition on and didnt wait for the lights to go out and started the bike. Thats when I noticed that my speedo quit working. Question is do you know how to fix the problem???? Any advice is greatly appreciated....

I've seen a post earlier that if you start the bike before lights go out on speedometer could affect the speedo causing it to not work. I did that yesterday when leaving the store and now speedo is inop. Everything works fine on the instrument panel except speedo. Pulled the sensor out and had very little to no shavings on it, cleaned it and still inop. Is there anyway to solve this problem or do I have to replace the sensor because of being in a hurry to leave....

Rat,

My speedo never quits permanently. It always goes back to normal after I shut off the switch wait for all the lights to go out before starting. I still do it once in awhile, the bright sun and my impatience wont let me wait long enough for the lights to go out.

When you first turn your switch on does the speedo needle move downward or at all? You may have a power issue. When I first turn the switch on the needle on mine moves further down then when at rest, then it comes back to normal as if it is booting up. I doubt your sensor is bad because of it but anything is possible.

Hope that helps,

Bodeen

Yes the speedo needle does go backwards a little the goes back to normal as you say yours does. I did put a new windshield on with T-bag pouches and had to separate both fairing shells abit. Could I have jarred something loose inside??

Yes the speedo needle does go backwards a little the goes back to normal as you say yours does. I did put a new windshield on with T-bag pouches and had to separate both fairing shells abit. Could I have jarred something loose inside??

Yes you could have pulled something loose. It seems as though you have power going to it. Maybe the sensor did go bad on it. Hopefully Hoople will be along to help us out here. Stay tuned.

Bodeen

Thats 1 Thing that I didnt want to hear but tried to be as careful as I could when doing that. Did notice that the left side of faing was vibrating more than usual and right side was normal. Guess I will pull new shield off and look inside to see whats going on but will wait till I here from Hoople...

Back