free website stats program Speedo Issue! | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo Issue!

Madwig

I own an 03 Electra Glide and myspeedo has been giving me trouble. I got caught in a big downpour a few months ago . I stopped at a gas station till most of it passed. When I got back on the road I noticed that my speedometer was acting quirky and then just stopped working all together. On the way home every time I stopped at a red light the bike would die. I could crank it back up with no problem though. When I got home I let the bike sit for a day thinking that a sensor ahe just gotton wet. Sure enough when I took the bike out again the speedo worked fine and no more shut down when stopping. Fast foward a few weeks later and I'm crusing around in sunny weather and the speedo starts acting up again with the same cut off problem. I switched the bike off for a few minutes and cranked it back up again the speedo works. That was a month ago and today I again ran in to the same problem.

My question is, do I have a sensor problem? And if yes how hard is it to replace and how much will it cost for the parts?

I own an 03 Electra Glide and myspeedo has been giving me trouble. I got caught in a big downpour a few months ago . I stopped at a gas station till most of it passed. When I got back on the road I noticed that my speedometer was acting quirky and then just stopped working all together. On the way home every time I stopped at a red light the bike would die. I could crank it back up with no problem though. When I got home I let the bike sit for a day thinking that a sensor ahe just gotton wet. Sure enough when I took the bike out again the speedo worked fine and no more shut down when stopping. Fast foward a few weeks later and I'm crusing around in sunny weather and the speedo starts acting up again with the same cut off problem. I switched the bike off for a few minutes and cranked it back up again the speedo works. That was a month ago and today I again ran in to the same problem.

My question is, do I have a sensor problem? And if yes how hard is it to replace and how much will it cost for the parts?

Welcome to The Forum http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-729.html Have a look here first

Does it start out reading wrong or does it start doing it after you have been riding a while?

Are there any codes, are the tach and radio working? This happened on my '06EG just did not stall.
I removed all the fuses and cleaned them and the block with electrical parts cleaner, coated with di-electric grease. Also cleaned the ECM connection and battery terminals. Have not had a problem since.

It took some time (a couple of weeks) but I finally got a check engine light. If you hold the speedo reset button in while turning the ignition switch on it will enter code display mode. I believe there are ten codes displayed on the odometer. If I remember correctly I had an error displayed on the second or third of the ten desplays. It indicated that the speed sensor was at fault. The speed sensor is made up of a coil of very very fine wire with many turns. If this coil has a break in the fine wire it is not unusual for it to work when the engine is cold but stops working as the engine heats up causing the break in the wire to lose contact with itself. when it cools back down it will again make contact wit itself. The connector for the speed sensor in front of the battery below the circuit breaker. Remove the battery, the conector for the speed sensor is anchored to the front of the battery box, pry it loose. remove the center piece from the connector. Using a small screwdriver to release the clip that holds each of the three pins in the connector. I attached a piece of wire (longer than the leads on the new speed sensor) by stripping about 2-3" of the insulation off the wire then wraping it around the three wires from the connector keeping the end of the insulation ahead of the pins, then tape it keeping it as small as possible. When you remove the speed sensor you can pull the leads thru an clip/anchor and under the starter. Reinstall the pins in the old connector body using the new as a guide as to each wires location. Then attach the wire you pulled in with the old sensor leads to the new leads with the connector body removed the same as the old leads. Use that wire to pull the leads under the starter up the frame and thru the anchor/clip (it has the regulator wires in it also) and back into the battery compartment (you will need to feed/push the new wires under the starter as you pull the wire) where you can replace the connector body on the leads using the old connector as a guide. It might be a good idea to make a diagram of the wire colors/pins location in the connector body before you start. I hope this helps.

Back