free website stats program Speed Sensor Pickup Problem Symptoms | Harley Davidson Forums

Speed Sensor Pickup Problem Symptoms

glider.

BOT Machine
*Speed Sensor Pickup Problem Symptoms

Before you go any further, check to see if your bike has a cable drive speedometer that drives off the front wheel. Many have posted questions and not said if they have cable drive or electronic speedometers that drive off magnetic impulse from the transmissions.

If your speedometer stops registering speed and your odometer does not move as far as registering miles traveled, you also realize that your directional signals do not self cancel, your engine could be running differently and stalling, your problem is more than likely the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the transmission. It collects metal particles that are from the wear in the transmission being that it is a magnetic pickup that reads off the 4 th gear cog in the transmission. You can clean it off then replace it, but most times it will go bad again real soon. The best thing to do is replace it. I believe the cost is around $50. A simple repair requiring one bolt for removal. It's located on the transmission just behind the rear pipe. A good quality gear lube will just about eliminate this problem.

The magnetic speed sensor pick up gets fouled from the metal shavings in the transmission which causes the speedo to stop working and the directionals to stop self canceling because of no input to the ECM from the sensor. The ECM thinks that the bike is standing still because of no input. It will also set a code which gives you a red light on the dash.
Use of a good gear oil will almost eliminate this problem completely.

The sensor pickup is a bit more hidden on the later 07- model bikes under the starter.
To the right of the VSS is the Neutral safety switch with the two plugs on it and to the left is the main battery ground connection if you ever need to clean it.

I have a 2003 dyna low rider, and I too have had speed sensor problems. Bought the bike with 2400 miles on it, and it started acting up after around 400 more miles. It works but is about 15 to 20 miles slower than the actual speed? Pulled the sensor and it had quite a bit of fuzz. Cleaned it off and the problem went away, but only for a short time. I also changed the transmission fluid with some synthetic recommended by the dealer. Anyway, I continued to have the problem, but it would only occur after I had ridden for a while, stopped and started again? Remove the sensor, wipe it off. But no more fuzz now? Finally got tired of this and changed the sensor. Worked great for about 1000 miles. Then tonight I stopped at the store and when I left, it wasn't working again. Checked it with no fuzz, but wiped it down, reinstalled and it's working again? When I originally installed the sensor, it had allot of magnetic power, as it flew over to the pipe and stuck. Now, like the old one, not much magnetism left? Any suggestions from the experts? Thanks.

Very odd about it loosing the magnetic power. Possibly a defective sensor? Other than that usually the sensor has to be replaced even after cleaning because the cleaning only works temporarily. Did you check the wiring for the sensor to see if there are any abrasions on it anywhere?

Exactly what Mr. Data said. Very strange they are loosing their magnetic strength. Was the replacement a Genuine HD. Look close at the tip of the sensor and see if it is happening to be making physical contact with the rotating "tone ring". It should not make any form of contact with any moving parts.

we have a 2003 ultra classic. The speedometer stops working and is very eratic, then the engine light comes on. I have replace the speed sensor on the tranmission. we have had the speedometer cluster changed and the throttle postioner and it is still doing the same thing.

we have a 2003 ultra classic. The speedometer stops working and is very eratic, then the engine light comes on. I have replace the speed sensor on the tranmission. we have had the speedometer cluster changed and the throttle postioner and it is still doing the same thing.

Harley Davidson Community Try this:s Welcome to The Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issue with my 05 glide. After a little research I found that if I switch to "RUN" on the handlebar controls "BEFORE" I turn the keyswitch on it works fine.

I have a 2006 Sportster 1200C.

My first issue was related to my speedo needle being erratic. Solution: Clean the VSS and replace the O-ring. It worked.

My second issue is the speedo displaying the incorrect speed...5-15 MPH too fast. That, or I'm passing cops doing 85 MPH and not getting cited! Bought and installed a new VSS. Speedo calibration remains incorrect.

Checked out all the diagnostic codes without any clues to what is wrong. All clear on that front and all the "other" features work fine.

HD dealer says the next thing to replace is the speedo itself...because that is where the speedo calibration chip resides. Another HD dealers claims the calibration chip is in the ECM. I don't know what to believe.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. Many thanks.

I've got a 98 dyna glide FXDS and my speedo acted eraticly then sometimes it would work or not. Finally it quit all together but the light still comes on when I turn the key. Since you all mention it my turn signals don't go off anymore. Thanks for all the good advice I'll check the sensor.

Back