free website stats program spark plug color | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

spark plug color

QUOTE...MAT....Thanks....:p...I do like it up here but....:bigsmiley30:.OH>>>>My plugs are clean..

Mat,
Geezer bought a new set of electric plug-in and HEAT clothes a while back when he visited me in Wa. last year Feb-Mar?

I live about 45 miles from the place in Olympia that makes them.I talked a good deal for him, saved $$.
Glad He didn't want to ride one of my bikes, as we took my jeep... While there in the parking lot, talking with one of My friends the is totally NUTS and rides all year around.We Both (geez and I) were shivering, a Storm came over and it started to snow... Good-by was all that needed to be said by all. We climbed into the jeep and Put heater on HIGH...

Now gunnut,

Are you going to Brush them clean or put in a new set?

How much do the HD's run you in the UK?

signed....BUBBIE

I install new plugs every year weather they need it or not...Sorry for the misunderstanding..I have never been in the UK...:)

HD plugs are about £3.99 each for the 5r6a if you shop vat free i would expect to pay a wee bit more from a mainland dealer or can get them off ebay for £14.99 with £1.99 for the shipping
I buy a few bits and bobs from the Jersey harley davidson and as they do not charge vat it is a 20% saving over mainland prices and at least once a year i will need plugs filters gaskets and o rings for servicing 3 bikes one order one cost for shipping and i always have what i need sat on the shelf

Brian

That ought to teach you a lesson mat 60.... NO Nasty words allowed here
Now get out there and Ride...:s

signed....BUBBIE

:p Snow is STILL a four letter word:p Keeping in mind once you remove a spark plug it should not be reinstalled, the crush gasket is no longer able to do its job correctly, I know we have all done this in the past, but the EFI bikes are getting less forgiving than older models and plugs are still fairly cheap JMO

Thanks guys,I've just chucked a new set of plugs in,so I'll do the check like was said and take it from there,the black on the old plugs isnt the least bit greasy,its all soot.Also,the exhaust ends are a little sooty,but not what I would call overly,could these be a result of the plugs being old?? The gap is preset on the new ones and when I checked it,it was pretty much in the middle of the min/max gap sizes in my manual,so I figgered that was fine to go on.

=================================================

PS,the HD plugs cost me £8.00,around the $6 mark each I think,which wasnt so bad considering I got them from my dealer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,I've just chucked a new set of plugs in,so I'll do the check like was said and take it from there,the black on the old plugs isnt the least bit greasy,its all soot.Also,the exhaust ends are a little sooty,but not what I would call overly,could these be a result of the plugs being old?? The gap is preset on the new ones and when I checked it,it was pretty much in the middle of the min/max gap sizes in my manual,so I figgered that was fine to go on.

PS,the HD plugs cost me £8.00,around the $6 mark each I think,which wasnt so bad considering I got them from my dealer!

The plugs SHOW me it is way too rich in my book.. You might want to lower the main Jet by .005 and try that. IF still too rich I would also consider the low jet down by the same.. BUT FIRST I need to know what size Jets are in and any modifications you know about.

IF you know what size your jets are I could suggest better...

I had a EVO 1997 FXDS and really like that bike. I too did things to lean it out and i Needed to Increase the amount of fuel... Usually the Big jet down by .005 will change out that Black.. Have you or anybody changed them in the past?

I still go with way too rich and need to change out to ?? IT Will Run Better...

signed....BUBBIE

The colour of the plugs can reflect the last time the engine was running
if it had the choke control pulled out then i would expect some soot on the plugs
the only way to tell for sure with the colour is to do a plug chop
do about 60 in 3rd gear for at least 1/4 mile then pull the clutch and cut the engine coast to a halt check the plugs for colour watch out at this point as the engine and plugs will be hot

Brian

The plugs SHOW me it is way too rich in my book.. You might want to lower the main Jet by .005 and try that. IF still too rich I would also consider the low jet down by the same.. BUT FIRST I need to know what size Jets are in and any modifications you know about.

IF you know what size your jets are I could suggest better...

I had a EVO 1997 FXDS and really like that bike. I too did things to lean it out and i Needed to Increase the amount of fuel... Usually the Big jet down by .005 will change out that Black.. Have you or anybody changed them in the past?

I still go with way too rich and need to change out to ?? IT Will Run Better...

signed....BUBBIE
Thank you Bubbie,...dont have a clue what jets are what size,but,when my regulator fried in Spain,the guys at the shop played around with the idleing speed cause they thought the tick over was too slow,them being the experts,I wasnt about to argue with them.

Thank you also everybody for your input,its much appreciated.Take care

I agree with the above post, I too would like to see a more tan color on the ceramic insolator. You did not state how long the plugs have been in use and what gap you are running. You also need to be sure that you have the bike running at speed (50 to 60mph) chop the throttle, pull in the clutch and shut off the ignition. As soon as the bike is on the jiffy stand pull the plugs. This is the most accurate way to see how the plugs and fuel mixture are when running.

Yep this is the proper way to check plug colour. I think with todays fuels the colour you are seeing is fine. If you did a proper ( plug chop - what is described above ) I think you'd find the plug colour a lighter tan colour ). What you have is fine in my books.

With all of the additives, ethenol etc... does anyone recommend a cleaner etc to run with the gas from time to time ?

Back